FrankenSpec - A Flaggers SRF Build

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm
The Build has begun!

Many have seen me posting and talking about my desire to race next season and try to get a Gen 2 together. Well it has officially started now. I was able to pick up a bare frame for FREE from an amazingly generous individual.

I have also acquired an engine and all the various stuff from another person, as well spare ECU's, alternators, and a set of Koni shocks without springs and a seat. Had a pair of fuel cells donated also yet they are missing the whole gasket and connection closure. Was told there is a place in Wisconsin for them to be sent to get checked out since they are older.

I pretty much need to get everything else for the car, belly/cockpit panels, trans, suspension, mirrors, etc. So if anyone knows of people looking to unload parts feel free to contact me! I am doing with pretty much a budget of hopes and dreams.

My goal is to have this all ready for the Drivers School weekend at Blackhawk Farms in April so I can get my comp license. Tracks won't even let you test without a comp license, yet I can drive a rescue truck with 3 other people on it, tools and at speed in traffic....strange.

I am not sure if most of you are shaking your head at the idea of whole endeavor or just having a fun giggle, I know I am doing both! I am going to try and post my progress here and would love to have words of wisdom and warning from this great community.
Attachments
20171228_192156  forum size.jpg
20171228_192156 forum size.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 18474 times
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm
I like it - a Lot!
If you can source a Gen1 Build Manual and a Gen2 conversion you'll be moving along faster. Hopefully you've got your hands on those if not, maybe someone here can help out. Maybe a CSR has something back in their stacks.

Best of luck and keep posting!

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 pm
Good luck and hope it goes as planned! Keep us all up to date. Have you checked with several of your closest CSR's? They might have stuff sitting in their shops just waiting for someone to pickup or pay little for. Also, not sure what shape the frame is in, but it will pay in the long run to have it checked for straightness, trueness, etc. There are good books on setup out there that tell you how to check it before you go to the trouble of adding everything else. As for aluminum, a local HVAC guy could help with side cockpit pieces and the floor. I think, if memory serves, its all .060" thick. The footwell will have to be made of steel on top of the aluminum floor as well as the section of the fuel cell that sits the lowest. All cheap to make if necessary.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 am
Don't the Aluminum pieces have to be the spec parts as you would get from say the CSR gets from Enterprise?

As for meeting with my CSR the frame was actually at Elites shop. I have talked with Beau and was even giving them a hand loading up for Florida. I am sure he will be able to help me a lot but I don't want to put a drain on him either. He has a LOT of cars to work on. He did say the frame was fine for what it is.

Thanks for the input...keep it coming :D
Chris B
Chicago Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm
I don't have any Enterprise labels on any of the side panels nor on the floor but they never came with my car either. I'm not opposed to buying from your CSR and it's always good to support them. I am sure Beau will do you well. You are on a shoestring budget as you have indicated and local sheet metal shops are fine for some of those pieces if you want to go to that route.
I had a set of old style mirrors, but I was humbled to replace them awhile back as my fellow racers in the east know well. They are in the SRF museum ;)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 pm
TrackBrat wrote:Don't the Aluminum pieces have to be the spec parts as you would get from say the CSR gets from Enterprise?

The GCR allows all the floor to be made. The aluminum section from 0.060" material. The section for the feet from 16 gauge steel. It also identifies aluminum to have drain holes no bigger than 0.375, can be bonded, and rivets shall be spaced similar to Enterprises floor pan.

The upright it does not give the metal thickness. I suspect that means they are supposed to be purchased instead of built.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:44 pm
So a little update. Progress has been severely hampered due to the zero to sub zero temps we have been having here in Chicago. Single burner propane heater had almost no effect in heating the garage. I am looking to clean up the frame so once I get panels I can attach them.

Speaking of the panels does anyone have files that has the specific dimensions of them? If I can find a supplier nearby love to get some made so I can keep forward progress.
Chris B
Chicago Region

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 pm
I have a tail you can have if you wanna pick it up. It's been repaired a few times and it's close to the legal max weight but it might be good for what you're trying to do. I live in Barrington. abc8473431648def. Give me a call if you're interested.

Come on SRF community, let's get this guy on the track
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Clueless1 wrote:I have a tail you can have if you wanna pick it up. It's been repaired a few times and it's close to the legal max weight but it might be good for what you're trying to do. I live in Barrington. abc8473431648def. Give me a call if you're interested.

Come on SRF community, let's get this guy on the track

Thanks RICK! I will for sure give you a call.

Little update - temperatures have risen above 20 degrees for first time in two weeks. Also purchased a propane torpedo heater so those two combined allowed me to actually get some work done. Been cleaning the frame and doing some checks.

The clean side is the right side of the car.
Attachments
20180107_174735 resize.jpg
Left dirty , Right Clean
20180107_174735 resize.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 18059 times
Chris B
Chicago Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm
Hi,

My old nose (cracked up a lot but could be fixed with time and resin) is sitting in Beau's shop. It's yours.
I had a SRF3 conversion before 15 season and any of my old stuff that he still has is yours for the asking.
(Engine is gone).
Best wishes.
Hutch #95
Next

Return to General Discussions