COTA Super Tour

All things specracer!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:51 pm
TrackBrat wrote:I heard there was some chaos over the weekend? What was the story? With so much runoff on the track I am curious about the details.

As for talk about the wave offs, which stand were they using for the Start Stand? I can try to see who was the starter for your sessions and see why there was wave offs if you all would like?

If my math is right, we raced for 10 or 11 laps the whole weekend, and had a total of about 20 green flag laps THE WHOLE WEEKEND (assuming you went out for the wet session). The wave-offs were deadly because the yellow flag lap takes over 5 minutes. And then when the double yellows come out, they seem to want to flatbed every car using a crane and a FCY. We had six yellow/safety car laps, which is 30 minutes. In a 35 minute race, that's a lot of not-racing.

I still enjoyed the weekend, but I sure wish we had done a LOT more racing. I am very happy that I spend several hours on iRacing learning the track.

PS: The incidents and yellows seemed to be the result of massive speed differentials, which itself was due to first-come gridding for the first session, which led to non-representative lap times, which led to only slightly more valid gridding for Q1. The true speed-based grid didn't happen until Sunday AM.

(I came from Maryland.)
Last edited by Greg-Cirillo on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:52 pm
it's a good idea, Paul and i am not belittling it or Hutch's response. But really...This is supposed to be the best amateur racers in the country, some of the competition hires coaches, uses simulators, pays for track days, etc. I would not expect to get instruction.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm
COTA - wish we could do a reboot.

We traveled from the east coast and unfortunately had very little track time. This was related to poor judgement by a few drivers in the practice and Q1 and Q2 was wet. At least we had a few fast laps in the Sat race with only a short yellow but Sunday was a hampered by two wave off's (of 82 cars) and one stupid move by a drive that essentially took out three cars (although mine was barely drivable) and this caused about 15 minutes of yellow, thus we had about 10 min of green laps. I will post video of the accident once I cool down a bit and have time.

Due to the accident I spent an hour in impound discussing the race with the chief stewards and showing video. The driver of 76, Grigsby would later be put on probation for the bonehead move that damaged my car and Snyder's (I believe) car. I did get to discuss the two wave off's and they were going to have a meeting and discuss this to decide how to start such a large group in the future.

The first start was so slow and in Pos 17 the 8 rows in front did a check up - and I was too close and had minor impact with Mr. Fogg (sorry) and closed up my nose- totally my fault. I was running 225 by the time we started and that always does a lot for horsepower so I dropped back into about 20th, which put me in harms way for the dive bomb and distruction. Funny thing was the nose was so damaged that the temps went back down and I was able to finish the race with the right front up in the air and alignment out of wack.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 am
Saw the move on Mark Snyder's Instagram page. It looked as though he'd lost his brakes. Did not realize there was a third car, bummer.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am
SCCA is sending out a survey. Over all I had a great weekend. But there’s always room for improvement and more track time.

Here are my comments:

Shrink the SRF field. Black flag trouble makers during starts instead of waving off green, keep gates open to 12 Midnight & remind security staff that we're the customers. Security needs an attitude adjustment.
Previous

Return to General Discussions