Thoughts on wrapping SRF

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 pm
Just joined the SRF family recently in a Gen 2 and completed my first two race weekends - definitely a new and exciting experience with a learning curve coming out of a sedan the weighed 2x as much with 2x as much power.

The car had some bumps and bruises and I was thinking about getting a fresh paint job, but then some contact this weekend and a few resulting new cracks in the fiberglass have me rethinking that. Has anyone found a whole car vinyl wrap to be more durable? Am I crazy for thinking that the vinyl itself may provide some protection and kind of hold everything together? I know it won't make a difference in a major impact, but thinking that maybe in the "rubbin is racin" department the vinyl may offer some benefit. Thoughts?

Thanks - Adam
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Had a full wrap done to my car a number of years ago. Sponsor paid for it, so I don't know the cost, but given the amount of labor required I expect that it's pretty expensive beyond the cost of the vinyl. Given the shape of the bodywork it was a pretty complicated task, requiring multiple pieces to be cut, stretched and aligned carefully (definitely a job I wouldn't try myself!)

After a season of minor "bumps and bruises" it held up pretty well (at least to the 50/50 standard), but was definitely fraying). Once I had a "major" event that required more extensive repair, it was back to paint (one-time sponsorship). At that time I was able to do my own painting, so cost was definitely factor in going back to paint.

Only other comment I got from the installer was that there was more drag with vinyl, though I doubt at our speed that would make much of a difference.)

Where I use vinyl is in accents and some quick damage repair, so I do keep vinyl on hand (matched to my two paint colors) to go along with matching rolls of duct tape. ;-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Thanks for your input - fortunately I have a local sign supplier who usually does stuff for me at or near cost so I'm hoping that makes up the difference between cost of vinyl vs paint.

The more drag with vinyl is odd - wonder why? I'm slow enough already I need all the help I can get!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:55 pm
M3racer wrote:Thanks for your input - fortunately I have a local sign supplier who usually does stuff for me at or near cost so I'm hoping that makes up the difference between cost of vinyl vs paint.

The more drag with vinyl is odd - wonder why? I'm slow enough already I need all the help I can get!

There's no reason that vinyl would create more drag, and certainly not enough to be detectable on our cars. If you can get vinyl cheap, give it a shot. You'll likely be replacing the front 2 or 3 feet of it a few times.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Any idea what a full wrap weighs?

Many of us have partial vinyl wraps by the end of the weekend....

Matching your racer's tape with easy to obtain (Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes) spray paint can make for quick repairs and touchups. For some it's not pretty enough, but it is a race car, not a show car.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 pm
I believe a wrap is lighter than paint.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 am
The latest tech is AERO Paint, which is an applique that is fast becoming the standard for pro racer graphics. Probably out of our price range, though.

http://www.entrotech.com/news/fast-and-easy-aero-advanced-paint-technology-install-on-indycar-sidepod/
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 am
I've been really happy with my wrap. I recommend a base paint job of white or whatever color you want. Then wrap for color and lines. It has held up very well and I can patch it easily.
I can also then change my color scheme/livery any time I want.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 am
That AERO stuff looks amazingly easy to work with compared to the ordinary stickers and vinyl I'm used to (that are full of bubbles on my car).
If I ever go with a full repaint I'd probably do a base/center color that's dark, and do the edges and front with a light color that matches the Gorilla duct tape. Dark color show chips pretty easily, although now that I think about it light colors show the rubber streaks from clag. (as seen on my helmet)

I need to come up with a "Speed camo" that is various streaks of greys on top and overlapping circles of greys on the sides so the rubber marks blend in.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:15 pm
pmiranda wrote:I need to come up with a "Speed camo" that is various streaks of greys on top and overlapping circles of greys on the sides so the rubber marks blend in.

Speed camo - love it! It would get more camo as we race more. :lol:
Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain
Next

Return to General Discussions