I’m hanging up my drivers suit

All things specracer!
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:29 pm
After 30 consecutive years of SCCA racing, all of it in SR/SRF/SRF Gen3, I’ve decided the time is right to stop. It has been quite a ride, starting with absolutely zero knowledge of how to go racing and growing into Central Division championships, four June Sprints wins, a few track records (now broken), a significant share of National level wins and an SCCA National Championship.

With my wife Kathy at my side and on the radio providing critical information and encouragement our adventures have ranged from Brainerd, Minnesota to St Petersburg, Florida; from as far west as Mid-America in Kansas to Virginia International Raceway. Along the way we touched Watkins Glen; Nelson Ledges; IRP; St. Louis; Ginger Man; Gratten; Mid-Ohio; Blackhawk Farms and of course the legendary Road America. I got to race against many outstanding racers, was lucky enough to finish well, and through all of the good and the bad, maintained a passion for the excitement and competitiveness of racing. A very small percentage of people get to race, an even smaller number get to do it as long as I did, and an even smaller fraction are lucky enough to achieve the level of success that I have enjoyed throughout these 30 years on-track. I am grateful.

While I could present a very long list of people who helped me over the years and contributed to the fun and successes we enjoyed I’d like to acknowledge a few as I bow out.

Beau Martin (and Bill McGovern) of Elite Autosport helped keep my car going for 29 of my 30 years. In 30 years of racing it is impossible to avoid some pretty significant crash damage at one point or another and whenever that happened and Beau’s crew finished with it the car was like new again. Beau has been around these cars so long that he can spot problems most cannot see. I highly recommend Elite to anyone looking for top CSR work. His shop has supported, I think, at least 8 national championships.

Bob Mumm was the first Spec Racer to share speed tips with me and became, and still is, a close friend. His guidance helped me get fast early enough to snag my championship ring and the Mumm instructions on engine changing allowed me to do them in my garage.

There were Kevin Kozmak, Doug Erber, and Kyle Kotlarz who crewed during my most successful period, my brother Rick and Bob and Bill Ablard, former SCCA racers themselves, who helped keep me racing the last few years. We had a lot of fun together and I thank them all.

I have been asked if I am done driving a race car. The answer is yes, UNLESS there is a car owner out there who wants a highly skilled driver to drive his or her car. I’m only quitting because I am worn down from 30 years of owning and maintaining my own car. But I still like to drive – and am pretty darned good at it. As the expression goes, “I’ll race for food”.

I want to end by wishing the best of luck to every SRF driver, regardless of the generation of car being raced. They are all exciting, amazing machines and I wish everyone personal success, fun, and most importantly, keeping the shiny side up.

Jim Marinangel

P.S. My car and configured-for-SRF trailer are for sale. Please direct anyone who might be interested in them to go to the Advertising forum to look them over.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm
Thanks for the well wishes Jim and best of luck to you as well. Btw, congrats on your very successful time in this great class.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:45 pm
Best wishes to you Jim. And thanks for the rain line lesson at the Sprints about 6-7 years ago! Of course, I knew you'd know the fast way around.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 am
Spec Racing is better for your participation, Jim. It was a pleasure meeting you at The Glen years ago. And congrats on a highly successful run over all these years!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 pm
Hi Jim! Wish you and Kathy the very best. Enjoyed very much seeing you at the track over the many years. I too am hanging it up for similar reasons. Just wish I would have had the same results as you achieved. It always amazed me how you were able to keep so competitive in recent years. You should be proud of your racing accomplishments. Racing has been good to us and it's so hard to turn the page because more than anything the friendships we have gained.

Like Kathy, my wife Patricia played such a major role in our racing family prior to her passing. We couldn't have done it without her. You just can't put a price tag on memories. Once again Jim, best wishes and hope to see you around some time.

Pat

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 pm
For me you have been a supportive presence in my on track experiences and I will dearly miss seeing you. I have always been in awe of your skills and have been pleased at how helpful you have always been for me. Hope to see you at some events.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:18 am
Jim, it's been great racing with you over the years. From when I started racing SRF in 1997 until I came back in 2013 and up until now, you've always been there, in or near the front. It will be strange not seeing your name on the time sheets! I hope you still come out to the track.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:30 am
Wow Jim! Never thought we'd see this happen! I haven't checked the forum for a while and this is a surprise.
We've had some awesome races in the past and I still can't figure out how you've done it with only one eye!
Good luck to you and Kathy in your future pursuits.

Jeff

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm
Jim, we sure will miss you and Kathy at the track. You have been a great friend on and off the track.
Not many people who have raced Spec Racers can say they were a National Champion and you have won a lot of races over the years, so you truly had a very successful stint (30 years) in Spec racer.

You have also given a lot back to SCCA from being a Regional Executive, driving instructor and National Anthem Singer.

I will always keep two chairs open in my paddock spot for you and Kathy when you have nothing to do on race weekends.

I think I still may have a video or two from back in the day and may still have Jeff's famous video full of foolishness.

Robert
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 am
Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate your comments. It is already strange not to be gearing up for the coming season. For 30 years, (that sure is a long time!), it was an automatic rite of spring. I'm going to miss that but more than the racing, being around all of you. As the expression goes; I came for the racing and stayed for the friends I made". I don't know if at some point I'll get into stewarding or something beyond my continuing 19 year stint on the region's Competition Committee, but for sure I'll make it out to the track and touch bases with you this year.
Next

Return to General Discussions