Just purchased a Gen2 -- items to refresh before tracking?

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am
Actually, some it has to do with the hubs. Over the years, we've had three types: the original Renault, the PBS and now Fast Forward.

The original Renault was a pretty good piece and held up well. Thing is, repeated bearing replacements tend to wear out the hubs a little with each servicing. That and just plain racing them hard has worn most of them out by now.

The PBS hubs were crap and most have been purged from the fleet.

The Fast Forward hubs, by hub and bearing guru Doug Learned, are terrific and will probably be what we run for quite awhile.

There is also an excellent hub refurbishing service offered by the Thomas brothers at Triple T Cutting Tools in New Jersey. Part of their process is to either maintain or build up the fillet radius where the hub meets the flange, which is essential to hub durability. Steve and Mike are Spec Racer competitors and great guys. There's some interesting information on our hubs and their process here: http://tripletcuttingtools.com/racing/srf-hubs/

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:04 am
Hi

I have a full set of brake mounts, calipers and pads for sale, taken off my Gen 3.
let me know if either of you would like them. Will give you great deal. Those mounts are very expensive new.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:00 am
Consider longer studs on all four wheels and new lug nuts. Embarrassing to have new bearings installed and a wheel lets go. Don't ask how far the walk of shame was...

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am
phantomjock wrote:Consider longer studs on all four wheels and new lug nuts. Embarrassing to have new bearings installed and a wheel lets go. Don't ask how far the walk of shame was...

Cheers - Jim

Been there. Lost that. Lime Rock National 2000. Uphill. Ouch! If the longer lug studs aren't on your car. Put 'em on!
Previous

Return to General Discussions