Lights

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 pm
Anyone have experience with installing lights on the srf for night races? Looking at doing some evening enduros - like Charlotte next month. Thanks!
Last edited by turnnpoint on Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 pm
On the 25 Hour Enduro car we built lights into the nose corners, with an aluminum box behind the nose holding the lights and clear lexan over the nose openings in each corner. See: https://flic.kr/p/7mgky6

That's probably more than you want to do for a one-time event.

The first time we did the 25 in 2004, we had a light bar fabricated that sat across the front of the nose and used the body pins to hold the bar (at that time we had the three pin setup), running to a plug connected through the front vent for power. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo, but it was a simple setup to put on and off the car, though the stability of the lighting wasn't great (think strobe light slickering at 100mph!)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 pm
With how powerful LED light Bars are these days, I wonder if that might be the best option. Don't have to worry about replacing them when have nose damage, also I think being hard mounted there will reduce some of the issues I have seen with lights mounted to the body have the stability issues that Breton said. They bounce around a bunch.

Speaking of lights does anyone know the exact LED version used as the brake light? Since I am doing the build why not go with a bright light people can see and was also told it is easier on the alternator for a Gen 2 also.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 pm
I picked up my LED tail/brake light at a truck stop (or was it WalMart?) It's a pretty standard truck/trailer part so I expect you could find it at any auto / truck parts store. Make sure it's a tail & stop/brake light that uses the standard 3 pin plug on the SRF.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 pm
Turnpoint

Anyone have experience with installing lights on the srf for night races? Looking at doing some evening enduros - like Charlotte next month. Thanks!

Contact Mike Amy at Dog Gone Racing ... Mike regularly preps and races Spec Racers for The Devil in the Dark 12 Hour. A substantial amount of the race is run in the dark and his lights show the way.

If you are interested in night racing, you should check out The Devil here

Terry

Return to General Discussions