Runoffs ? Paddock space?

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 pm
I'm contemplating attending the Runoffs, but want to understand the real costs. I'm on an amateur budget so paying $1000 plus for a pit space is not on, and would hesitate to attend if it means having to pit/drive through gravel . I would need a 20' x 40' space for tow vehicle/trailer/race car together. Do gravel paddock areas have paved access road?
I understand that there will be an online registration starting Sept 5 for paddock space. From the satellite imagery there doesn't appear to be enough space for the number of cars that you would expect.
Anyone local to Sonoma have any thoughts to how it play out?

Glenn
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:15 pm
Check the maps here: https://www.scca.com/pages/2018-runoffs-maps I expect the Main Paddock will be primarily multi-car teams and big rigs, but there are quite a few 25x40 to 25x60 spots there as well.

The South Paddock is Parking Lot 2 normally. This is gravel; the spaces closest to the track are pretty level; it slopes up a bit as you move toward the opposite side. The access road is paved and closest to the track outside of the paddock.

Terrace Paddock is the next closest and is either grass or dirt. Reasonably level and not too far down to the paddock.

The Chute Paddock is at the far end of the track past the NASCAR chute, accessible by paved road and also paved. It looks like gravel/grass (haven't been up there is while, but looks reasonable level.
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1532723239

The Mazda Paddock is farthest away, directly past the T7 loop, separated by a K-wall, but it's all paved and reasonable level and directly accessible to the access road as well as the track. It's typically used on Pro weekends for support classes (e.g. IMSA cars on an Indy weekend.) I've parked out there in the past and it's a long way to the paddock by the access road. In the Pro events, they will funnel cars directly on and off the track rather than using the access road, so it's probably a good spot for low clearance cars if they allow cars to entry/exit from the T7 rather than by the access road, similar to what they did for the SRF's at the Laguna Runoffs.

Independent RV spots are also available outside T8 that the track is managing. No idea what the paddock charges will be for the Runoffs. Guess it's a deep, dark secret until registration opens.

Looks like plenty of options if you can fit in 20x40. Even the gravel areas are minimal and close to a paved access road; no worse than Mid-Ohio or Road America. I'm a bit prejudiced, but it still remains one of my favorites (and most challenging) tracks, a great match for the SRF3...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to General Discussions