Portable Driver's Advisor - 2018

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 am
I have posted the latest revision of the PDA.

Here: http://driverinfo.johnnesbitt.com/
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:41 am
Thanks for that great effort. Much appreciated by all I'm sure. Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:04 am
Hi John,
Thank you for putting together these guides.
In reading the PDA I noted the following:

If a car drops out of place during the pace lap(s), all cars that were behind it in the
column (left or right) advance a place to fill the gap. This is not a pass under yellow.

This rule as written I believe provides an unfair advantage to the cars allowed to move forward.

As an example in the last race I did I was in P2 on the pace lap in and the pole sitter spun warming his tires. Using this rule the 3rd place car would slot into P1 and everyone else in that column would also move forward. This seems wrong especially when the cars are as as closely matched as we are. Doing a full row shift forward affects everyone in the column that doesn't move up by dropping them down 1 position. I would think the 1 car length gap would be preserved and no one should move.

Steve Pence if you are reading this, perhaps this should be discussed during drivers meetings.
Jim Regan
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:03 am
JFR wrote:Hi John,
Thank you for putting together these guides.
In reading the PDA I noted the following:

If a car drops out of place during the pace lap(s), all cars that were behind it in the
column (left or right) advance a place to fill the gap. This is not a pass under yellow.

This rule as written I believe provides an unfair advantage to the cars allowed to move forward.

As an example in the last race I did I was in P2 on the pace lap in and the pole sitter spun warming his tires. Using this rule the 3rd place car would slot into P1 and everyone else in that column would also move forward. This seems wrong especially when the cars are as as closely matched as we are. Doing a full row shift forward affects everyone in the column that doesn't move up by dropping them down 1 position. I would think the 1 car length gap would be preserved and no one should move.

Steve Pence if you are reading this, perhaps this should be discussed during drivers meetings.
Jim Regan

Life is tough. That's the rule. :D If a gap was left due to somebody in the row dropping out (or spinning out etc) it would be harder for the starter to judge the cars being lined up 2x2 for start and the gap ahead would provide valuable room for somebody to accelerate early.

Corollary to that rule is if it happens, you can not regain or make up your position on the pace lap, that would be PUY.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm
I'm not too saddened by the rule since it's pretty rare for a car to drop out, and it's pretty common that a minor mistake or bit of luck in traffic or drafting makes a 2 or 3 car difference in where I qualify in any given race. It's also common to have a few positions trade hands at the first turn as well. Most often to my benefit as long as I don't screw up my own start.

Return to General Discussions