Peter Jank - Sprints crash

All things specracer!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:23 am
Our good friend Peter J. was injured in the Sprints second qualifier today. A mishap in the kink.
My recollection:

Bill Douglas was approaching the Kink while overtaking a slow moving (either broke or waiting for a drafting opportunity) car. Bill tried to time it so he would make a good pass but was a little off or the car changed its line/speed and Bill spun to avoid contact with him. Bill backed it into the outside wall and came to rest off the track. Next came Jim Grey with myself drafted right up to the rear of his car. Jim saw the action ahead and instinctively lifted or jinked for just a second but we made contact and both spun. Jim backed into Bill and came to rest a bit on the outside edge of the track. My spin left me stopped fully on the track toward the outside facing roughly down track None of us saw it but Peter apparently came thru just a couple beats later at full tilt and tried to turn inside which didn’t work. The aftermath looked like Peter was perpendicular to the track when he impacted my car.

The safety folks did a great job of cutting Peter out of the car and he was air lifted to the local hospital. The safety guys were calm and organized throughout a very difficult time. The info I have is that Peter suffered two badly broken legs, two broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He was operated on and all went ok and he is resting. Peter is a close friend and a terrific supporter of SRF and SCCA. He is always ready to lend a helping hand and bring a positive attitude to every situation. Get well buddy. We’ll miss you at the track.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 am
That totally sucks, please pass along my concern. Post an address/contact if you can. Hope all is well with you.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:59 am
A very bad place for an incident. Please let us know if you get any more info. My thoughts will be with him.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am
I am at a loss for words, scary stuff. He is such a great guy, definitely someone you look forward to seeing at the track, and fast. Thank you for letting us know about Peter, please keep us updated on his condition, if there is anyway we can contact him, and especially if he needs help with anything. (If he attacks his recovery like he attacks the track, it could be a quick one.) We're keeping you in our thoughts Peter.

Joelle Pence
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 am
Spec Racer is, in effect, a very small town where even if you never meet someone you feel like you know them. All my best to Peter for a fast recovery. Please keep us informed on his progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am
Terrible news! I will be praying for Peter and his family! Get well soon my friend!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 am
Sorry to hear that...wihsing for a fast recovery, let us know any updates of course.

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 am
That seems like the most frequent place for a big crash at RA. Peter is a great friend of the SRF community and I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 am
Please pass my wishes for a speedy recovery on to Peter and his family as well. Sounds like a terrible confluence of events with a remarkably tough outcome given the safety record of our class.
Peter, I hope you are up and reading these comments soon... our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am
Peter is a driver who has put out tremendous effort learning to drive quickly - a real student of the art. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll meet at the track. Off of it he organizes go-kart racing events at a Chicago area indoor track and owns a couple of the coolest replica cars you'll ever see - one is a Lola T-70. A real racing and car enthusiast.

Peter, glad to hear you are on the mend. We were all concerned when the Flight For Life chopper was brought in and are happy to hear that they and the SCCA Rescue personnel took good care of you. Get well soon and stay in touch with all your friends on this site when you feel up to it.

Jim
Next

Return to General Discussions