Peter Jank - Sprints crash

All things specracer!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:11 pm
Peter,
So sorry to hear about this very bad crash! Get well soon!
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region

Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm
Yikes! It is not good to crash anywhere, but I can't think of a place any worse than the kink at RA. The car is at the limit at a high rate of speed with not much room on either side of the road before you hit walls.

I am glad to hear Peter is already on the road to recovery and I wish him a very speedy one.

-Mike Miserendino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 pm
As has been said earlier, the SRF community is a special group, not only the drivers but crew and family as well. When we got off track following the qualifying session I went to medical to check on the guys involved with the incident (all five are CenDiv drivers by the way - what the hell?)
Bill Douglas's wife Linda was there as well as Peter's father Vito who was visiting Peter from California. Knowing that Vito was from out of state, alone, and totally unfamiliar with the area Linda decided she would stay with Vito and drive with him to where ever Peter was going to be air lifted.
Long story short. Peter was taken to the trauma center at the hospital in Neena, WI., maybe about an hour's drive from RA. This was sometime very early afternoon I think. Linda and Vito drove to the hospital and were able to see Peter before he went to surgery. Linda kept Vito company and occupied during the surgery and after. The Douglases live in a near by community and invited Vito to stay with them. He decided to stay at a motel just a few blocks from the hospital. Special people in deed.
And Peter, I wish you a quick recovery. It's been a treat watching you develop from a back marker to a very competitive, competent racer. You're gonna be missed. Get back soon.

Mike McCann
38 Black

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
753, 674
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/LindellMotorsports
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 pm
Peter,
Very sorry to hear about your incident and glad you are recovering as could have been any one of us in your position right now.
I missed racing with you at the BIR event this year as we have always run close and wish you a speedy and full recovery.

David Schaal
SRF#88

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 am
Peter, I too am very sorry to hear about your crash and wish you a complete recovery and a quick return to racing your SRF. Within a lap or two all of this will be forgotten.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:30 am
stu coomer wrote: Within a lap or two all of this will be forgotten.

Peter...our meeting at turn 6 Mid-Ohio, a couple weeks ago, doesn't even count as practice for what you just went through.
As Stu, I too wish you a speedy and complete recovery. But I'm guessing that, even though you have driven flat through the kink many, many times before...you can probably count on a return of the pucker factor for more than a lap or two when you get back at it. Just in case you were thinking that the thrill was gone. Something to look forward to as incentive to get back behind the wheel.

H.(crash hater)B.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am
Here's to a speedy recovery Peter.

I just barely made it through the melee just ahead and even had a piece of debris take a chip out of my helmet. Big mess.

Get well soon!

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am
I am so saddened and sorry to hear about Peter's shunt and my prayers are with him for a full and speedy recovery!

Get well Peter and we will see you back at the wheel of your SRF soon!

Glad to hear that the others involved in the incident are o.k.

There is contained in this bad news a silver lining, one that I knew has always been there, namely the caring and camaraderie that is the SRF family. Our "family" is just one of those special things that makes racing a Spec such a great experience! Mike is correct when he said, "Special people indeed!"

Makes me glad I race an SRF!

George Sanchez
SRF #48
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am
Once again thank you to the entire "SRF Family" for your continued support and well wishes. To quote Peter directly from our brief conversation this morning "[he] can feel it and it means a lot."

Good news, Peter has been moved from the ICU to the Orthopedic Care Unit. His condition continues to improve, but he still has a long haul ahead. Current estimate is that he will be realized from the hospital by week's end. He will be headed to an rehab facility from there for three plus weeks. Has not yet been determined where that is as yet, but more than likely closer to home. Once that is all sorted out, I will make to update everyone.

Once again many thanks to all the offers of assistance for my Dad and I. I will probably be coming out to stay with my Peter and my Dad after our 24 Hours of Lemons race at Buttonwillow that Peter was to run with us. He is a racer and that is how he wants us to continue. I look forward to seeing him back in the cockpit down the road.

Paul J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm
Peter,
Your friends in California are thinking of you. Get well!!
Tom Miserendino
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions