New Wilwood Calipers - Spring or no Spring?

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:27 am
Hi everyone, my new calipers are about to arrive, and I want to see what people think of using the springs or not. I am in favor of the new calipers because they appear to have less friction (than what I have today). Will the springs cause the friction now? Anyone have experience of before/after for the springs? Thanks in advance!
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm
Hmm, I guess no-one has experienced the spring vs no-spring?
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:37 pm
We have put them on 15ish cars and none have the springs. I haven't felt the springs, but I also don't experience that dramatic soft pedal that folks have described.

I can tell you one thing, going back to a car that didnt have the new calipers sure sucked to me. The modulation feel is just better with the new calipers.

-Mike Miserendino
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Thanks Mike. I wonder if anyone has tried the springs. Do you think you will be putting them in?
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 am
I have used the new brakes with and without the springs. I started without and gave the brakes a solid weekend to break in. While the pedal travel got better in was not good enough for what I was looking for. So I added a set of springs. This made the pedal travel better. The first few times I tested this (Road Atlanta practice day) I also came in and checked the brake drag by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel. Both front and rear spun with no drag each time.

The choice to use or not use the sprigs should be based on feel and not drag increase. Assuming a well maintained brake system these will not cause drag.
Tray
SRF3 7 - Atlanta Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:13 pm
Awesome Tray, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!!
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 pm
I really have not gotten a handle on the new brakes. I have been persistently a second slower with them. I have a really hard time with situations where you need just a little brush of brake. I have 1.5" travel at the pedal before any resistance builds, so you really have to hit the brakes for them to work, which is not my style. I haven't tried the springs yet, but will soon.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm
With that much more more brake pedal movement, is it hard to heel-toe with the new brakes?
Scott Ross
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 pm
I got to use them this weekend at Limerock. I had zero issues. First session out, I felt it was initiallysoft, then hard, but after that, didn't notice anything different. I like them. I'm not a heel/toe guy, so can't help on that question.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 pm
I've had the new calipers since last year and I tap up before every application due to the knock back.
I put the springs in this weekend and really liked the result. Like a lot. I still have to tap up after significant curb work but the pedal feels much better to me now.

Return to General Discussions