NHMS RAL Sunday red flag

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
377, 646
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm
Sunday Aug 4, at the NHMS RAL regional, Jon Emms and I were involved in a serious wreck that brought out a red flag. Thankfully, while we both sustained concussions, bumps and bruises, (Jon also cracked a rib) we are in pretty good shape considering the hit we took.

Both cars had Butler seats with the halo system and I think this helped to minimize our injuries. I would strongly encourage those of us that don’t have them consider getting one. (Much better than hitting roll bar padding!)

My wheel detached from the car and ended up way down track… Not sure if it flew or rolled, but this is immaterial. The potential for collateral damage to another competitor/corner worker/spectator is too great to ignore. I called Mike Davies with a recommendation that we mandate wheel tethers for us and all open wheel cars. I hope that this discussion expands within the SRF community and action is taken.

Finally – Thanks to the safety crew and medical staff at NHMS for the great care; Thanks to the SRF community for the care and support... Much appreciated!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:59 pm
First, I am very glad you are both going to be ok.

Second, having lost two wheels in a crash and one of them helping another car land on top of mine, I would support efforts to at least make tethers an option.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm
Sounds like a really big hit Mark. Good to here you and Jonathan are ok.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm
First, off, it's wonderful to hear that two good friends are going to be okay after such a huge hit.

As for tethers, obviously they would need to be anchored to the uprights. That would help some. I lost a wheel at Lime Rock 19 years ago and it damn near hit another driver. A tether wouldn't have prevented that one.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:31 pm
Mark good to hear you and Jon are ok

Return to General Discussions