Using the Driver Monitor App...

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:48 pm
I have been using this app the last couple seasons. I use a simple mount for my phone and that's it. No wiring etc. It's really been a benefit. No one crew person is going to be able to deliver this level of info lap after lap. Check out my article on how it helped me one race day last year.

https://www.drivermonitor.app/how-i-use-drivermonitor-2

The app's page home page- https://www.drivermonitor.app/
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm
I have question on where do you mount so you can view it while driving and how? Feel like we are bit limited for mounting things in the cockpit....at least that can see while on course. :lol:
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm
That is a pretty clever app. But, it is iOS only. Guess they are pulling the info from HERO (or other lap monitoring apps) to generate the rank (position)? Integrating with a predictive laptime (as suggested in the video) would really make it optimum - well, and Android version too.

The closing line of the video gave me a bit of a chuckle; " ...and you too will know what your doing." But, I am twisted.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm
The position is pretty good. It is 2 -3 inches away from and in front of the start button.

As for mounting the phone, it's fairly easy. There are a lot of options out there but I chose a Quad Lock brand phone case and mount that I think is made for bikes. Then I used a simple tube clamp mount from Longacre. Connecting the phone mount to the tube clamp is a 3D printed part. The one in the second picture is my first design. Subsequent iterations keep the location the same but simplified the printed part. The first pic is the simplified part (orange). It uses the original holes in the tube clamp rather than having to drill additional ones.

There are a lot of off-the-shelf ball mount products that could probably be used too. Having access to a 3D printer seems to influence all my design/fabrication decisions! I would be happy to give you more detail and help getting a mount to work if you'd like.

Jim
Attachments
phone mount.jpg
phone mount.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
IMG_5358.JPG
IMG_5358.JPG (77.44 KiB) Viewed 7008 times

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 pm
As for an Android version...stay tuned. :)

Return to General Discussions