UPCOMING RACES

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:49 pm
In fairness to our leadership, let’s give them the opportunity to catch their breath and come back to us with a plan for this season. Our elected officials have been changing our lives daily and hourly in some cases. This is a damn serious situation and it deserves our patience and understanding. A week ago I am eating at our local restaurant in Ohio with no thought that all of them would be closed as of last Sunday night. I would venture a guess that our Majors at best will be delayed or the season shortened with the points system highly modified or scrapped altogether as we may need the participation at the Runoffs. In the meantime keep your race car at least 6 feet away from the others to help slow the spread of the virus! 8-)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 pm
I do agree that we need to give them a chance, but they also need to communicate. Not that anyone could see every twist and turn invloved, but it was pretty obvious a few weeks ago that this was coming down the road as far as large events and that contingency plans should be made. To cancel the RA Majors two days before teams would have to head for the track might have been unavoidable given how quickly things are moving, but that should not be the pattern going forward.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:22 pm
This is not an official statement of any kind, it is my estimation:

Given the recent CDC recommendations, white house guidance and various local situations, and the fact that a substantial portion of the volunteer staff at events is in an at risk group, you should consider anything in the next 15 days canceled/postponed and anything in the next 8 weeks to be in danger of postponement or cancelation. (That takes it through the Pitt Majors for us in the Northeast).

It's not what any of us planned for when we setup our travel plans, requested vacation, booked hotels and flights, but it's the new reality we have to deal with. Continuing to hold events is not only going to put our cherished members in danger, but real soon it will be considered unpatriotic.

This is the real deal and we don't want to end up like Italy where they have to decide who gets life saving care and who is left to die. I am sure when this subsides appropriate reschedules and allowances will be made for runoffs qualifying and championships. No one really knows when that will be. For now, we should be thinking about staying healthy and protecting those who are elderly, vulnerable or have to be in public because the perform an essential service.

P.S. I was only half joking about the August Sprints. Chicago Region has a regional weekend in August. If spectator events are still in doubt in June, they could conceivably swap it with the June Sprints weekend.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 am
I'm kinda happy that they're waiting as long as possible in case there's a chance we can actually go racing at some point, but 1 week is pretty short notice and probably won't be repeated. For a virus that has been around for many weeks, things really have escalated quickly over the last couple weeks.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 am
I am on the Chicago Region comp board and I will try to keep you all updated as we know more. Right now I don't know any discussions about canceling stuff, but like you have all said things are changing at different rates and things are a bit of a toss up for well....everything.

I am glad you are all showing committed interest in coming up here and racing. Hopefully these early effort to slow down the spread of all this will do its job and we can be back to racing in not too long.

Our first regional is in April and trust me I am jonesing to get back out on track. Frankenspec has been in the garage all winter and wants to spread its legs....even if it is on "tired" tires.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm
Nice to see some communication from SCCA today. They don't have all the answers yet, but I don't think we can expect them to.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:36 am
SCCA in Topeka does not make the decisions about individual events. The regions that stage each event (Super Tour, Majors or Regional) makes those decisions. You have to realize that the ground has been shifting under them on a daily basis as the CDC changes their guidance, governors react and change rules for individual states and track owners and region executives and boards have to adjust accordingly.

I think you should expect that near-term, most races are going to be cancelled or postponed. In the longer term, who knows. No one can tell just how long the rate of infection is going to increase or when it may level off or decline. So try to put yourself in the shoes of the decision makers and cut them some slack.

Dave

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm
Hallett race first weekend in April cancelled... I guess I need to look into this sim racing stuff...

It is clear from the media reports and the response from workers and
entrants that to proceed at this time with the SCCA Hoosier Super Tour at Hallett
is inappropriate and irresponsible. Therefore, AVRG has canceled this event.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 am
TrackBrat wrote: Frankenspec has been in the garage all winter and wants to spread its legs....

Chris, I think the intended expression is "stretch" its legs :D
Either that, or I don't completely understand your relationship with that car. :o

with apologies - already been locked up in the house for too long.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm
ClifT wrote:
TrackBrat wrote: Frankenspec has been in the garage all winter and wants to spread its legs....

Chris, I think the intended expression is "stretch" its legs :D
Either that, or I don't completely understand your relationship with that car. :o

with apologies - already been locked up in the house for too long.

BAHAHAH good catch! Also you probably really don't want to know the relationship...it is just weird.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions