Back Home at Nelson 2020 Divisional Race

All things specracer!
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:50 pm
Fellow Spec Racers - I am happy to announce that the NEOHIO Region and Cincinnati Region are co-hosting a Divisional Race on August 1-2, 2020 at Nelson Ledges. Please look for a link to open very soon on Motorsports Registry.

We understand that this is very short notice, but we have worked hard with the track to get back to the once great Nelson Ledges Road Course. With all the cancellations along with Cincinnati losing their August Divisional date at Mid-Ohio we felt the opportunity was right to add an event.

What I can tell you about the Event is:

-Entry will be $395 for a two race weekend plus the $30 SRF Compliance Fee.
-Test Day will be run by NEOHIO and Cincinnati Regions on Friday.
-SRF/SRF3 has our own run group. We need a high car count to support this.
-The track has been repaved with curbing. It is fast, I dropped 4 seconds off my old time on 20 plus heat cycle tires. Some of this is attributed to the SRF3 vs. SRF, but its still fast.
-Run off areas have been leveled and the grass is always cut.
-New buildings are up and more are on the way.
-Addition paving has been done to the paddock roads.
-The new owner is continually improving the facility and has a very positive attitude.
-Camping will be permitted.

Come out and enjoy the new surface and support the work that many of the racers in Northeastern Ohio have been doing the past year. Also help us introduce the new owners what SCCA Club Racing is all about especially the SRF group.

Dave Lancaster
Regional Executive of NEOHIO Region, SCCA Inc.
Dave Lancaster
SRF # 44 Great Lakes Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:44 am
Great job Dave and others at both regions helping us get NelsonRing (coined by John Walsh I believe) back in our fold once again! I last raced there June, 2014 as part of the NYSRRC series “Westward Ho” regional. It has been missed by many who remember this track hosting some of the most competitive nationals and regionals in the Midwest. I drove my street car there for a few laps last summer and can attest that it is not the same old rough potholed track it had become. It is smooth and very fast!
I understand the owner is committed to making it a much more sought after track with many facilities improved and planned.
How many of us remember cheering for Watkins Glen being saved back in 1983 as we paddocked in weeds and raced by peeling blue painted guardrails? (Wished they had removed some of those blue bushes in their revitalization though)
So those of you who can, please come for a fun and I’m sure a competitive weekend at the new NelsonRing! Dave mentioned that their regions will run the Friday test day also and it will be reasonably priced. Hope to see a good showing! 8-)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 pm
It is a fun track! I've raced and flagged there a few times, and each time, it was a great experience, a true club track, and it is fast. If it was another weekend, I would probably make the trek out there!
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am
I received an email from Jennifer Dietz if I spelled her name correctly that Nelsons Divisional is now allowing 3 crew per entry. Not sure it can be done online but she can be emailed or I am sure the 3rd can be added at track registration. MotorsportsReg has the race listed. Hope more are open to trying out the new NelsonRing and support your local regions!
Mark Fick
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 pm
I think it is well deserved that one of us writes a post weekend report from NelsonRing. Hats off to both regions for a really fun and competitive weekend! Our group of specs had 5 times out on Friday test day because we were checkered early on session 3. The weather was perfect and allowed us all to get acquainted with the new track. And it is fast and fun! It was harder on us veterans as the smooth track hid all our old reference points, but I don't miss that aspect of the old track.
Saturday was dry in the morning qualifying but by the afternoon, we all agonized on tires. Most of us wisely chose the rains. The track seems to have lots of grip in the wet but we did not have much water by the end of the race. We had a confusing full course yellow and found out later that the radios went out on our afternoon race. That allowed us to bunch up and have more fun!
Since water was on our minds over the weekend, I am adding that some of the major paddock roads are now paved including the false grid! Yippee on no mud or dust!
Sunday was windy and rain threatened all day. We lucked out on both races (qualifying and feature) and used dry tires. Rain did not arrive until after our race but it was dicey near the end as drops were hitting our helmets!
All in all a great weekend of racing and lots of track time. Most of us now are challenged to dry out everything but it was worth the time and effort to run this past weekend.
The old tech shed is gone but a new one with (OMG) real garage doors will be built soon. The timing and scoring building and maintenance buildings are very new and in great shape. Start/Finish tower is very easily seen and impressive. The registration shed is very nice and the people were very friendly and helpful. We had registrations by appointment. Maurice LaFond from NeOhio was around on Friday to help us catch up on annuals. The paved roads I mentioned are very smooth and much appreciated. I add that everyone wore masks and/or maintained safe distances.

And a standing "O" in many of our opinions goes to Dave Lancaster, R.E. for NeOhio and fellow Spec driver for his tireless efforts over the last few years in helping bring this historic track back into the SCCA fold. Dave mentioned that it was a selfish effort as he lives within 45 min of the track, but he is humble about his impressive efforts. His focus was everywhere this past weekend too and still managed to very fast on the track. Thanks again Dave! 8-)

I for one will be looking forward to next season at NelsonRing, hopefully without masks!
Mark Fick
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:23 am
Mark,

Thank you for the kind words and the write up. It was a lot of work and I am very happy to report back that the Event was a success and that SCCA will be back in 2021 at Nelson Ledges Road Course.

Thanks to all the other Spec Racers who made the trip in to help support the rebuilding of Nelson Ledges. Due to our attendance we were able to keep our own run group. Alliance Autosport also deserves credit as Scott did a great job of promoting the event with his customers and supported us do-it-yourself racers at the event.

In our review meeting with Track Management, they were very pleased with the outcome of SCCA's first race back at the track and want more. The improvements you saw are just the beginning, they have more to come in the future. To Mark's point, hopefully no masks needed.
Dave Lancaster
SRF # 44 Great Lakes Region

Return to General Discussions