Best 2-Way Radio setup?

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:15 pm
I'm looking to put a radio setup in the car and thought I'd solicit some advice from the group first. What worked well and maybe what didn't work so good? Any recommendations on radio brand, UHF or VHF, antenna type and mounting location, helmet kit, etc. Not worried about any shameless plugs for vendors since my research so far has just been on the web. Thanks.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm
I would recommend SRC, Sampson Racing Radios. They have everything to help you with two way communication. We are still using part of a radio package from back in 2004. At that time SRC was using Tekk radios. Because of that package we kept expanding with Tekk radios. Including this year of adding 3 D200+ Tekk radios programmed for both analog & digital. Both Tekk NT90 radios from 2004 are still working and used by crew members.
The SRF3 has a small can type antenna mounted just below the top rollbar hoop.
One other input I can offer, is to make or obtain a battery replacement for connecting directly to the car's battery via a dash on/off switch.
Finally, I deafer than an old man ( oops I am that old man), anyway, I bought from SRC super quiet headset foam pads. I have to pull up an ear piece to hear someone standing close.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 am
Thanks for the info. SRC is one of the suppliers that I was looking at. Can you add a little more detail about "can" type antenna? Is the roll bar mount better than a fiberglass body mount? My center section has a hole in it from (I believe) a previous antenna mount.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 am
Update -
I called Sampson Racing Radios and talked to Scott who outlined what I needed and why. I bought the recommended system and it arrives this week so I'll have plenty of time for the install before the Runoffs. Now, I'll be able to hear the GREEN, GREEN, GREEN when the flag drops. :lol:

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Call Toto at SpeedCom - nine 0 four - seven 8 nine - 8 one 2 two

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:31 pm
65roses, I agree.

Toto was a great help when we had to reprogram his radio in JD's SRF.

Return to General Discussions