So Long and Thanks for all Fish

All things specracer!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:52 pm
After a whole lot of years racing with this community, last Sunday was my last race. I made a commitment to my loving wife that this season would be it. On Monday the car was sold to a new owner. But will remain here in the Southeast. I couldn't just stop as I would miss all of my track friends. So I am transitioning to become a race steward. I have traded my helmet and fire suit for white shirt and a rule book.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:29 pm
bob gardner wrote:After a whole lot of years racing with this community, last Sunday was my last race. I made a commitment to my loving wife that this season would be it. On Monday the car was sold to a new owner. But will remain here in the Southeast. I couldn't just stop as I would miss all of my track friends. So I am transitioning to become a race steward. I have traded my helmet and fire suit for white shirt and a rule book.

Welcome to the dark side, Bob.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:07 pm
Bob, I'm not sure I understand your reference to fish.

It was fun racing with you since you came east. And as you know I will be heading to the dark side as well. I'm just making a more gradual transition. So, I'll see you out there.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:23 am
At least when things get scary you can wrap a towel around your head and not run into anything :)

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:31 pm
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference :)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:03 pm
the reference to "Thanks for all the fish" is the title of a later book in the series

If you are becoming a stewart, remember your Babel fish. And the answer to all the drivers complaints is 42.

What many people don't understand is that 42 is the ascii code for the * symbol on a keyboard. So the answer to the question, "what's the meaning of life the universe and everything else" was ....42 or...*, Or anything you want it to be.

Douglas Adams was a true genius!
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:55 am
Bob, thanks for joining the stewards program.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:05 am
It’s so rewarding to have a physicist such as Lee in our class...now if his vast knowledge would help me with lower lap times... ;) 8-)
Good luck in your new endeavors Bob!
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:13 pm
Bob,

Now, just to have a little fun, it's back to scaring passengers as you negotiate on and off ramps....

Keeping up with the sport as a steward will help ease the withdrawal symptoms. Enjoy.

Jim
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:38 am
Bob,

You may or may not remember me from West Coast days, Oregon Region #73 and color something resembling McLaren orange. Sold my car a couple of years ago, have done the odd enduro race to help satisfy the racing jones. And I too have a Dark Side (Steward) license.

As Gary Bockman (RIP) an Oregon region SM and GT3 driver used to tell us about racing …”normal people don’t get to do this”. He was right. Treasure the memories, forget the fact that you could have paid the mortgage off several times with what you spent racing over the years, most people don’t get to go racing :D
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Next

Return to General Discussions