Sequential Gearbox Upgrade

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/tristan.welling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
I've heard from a couple of different sources that Enterprises is working on a sequential gearbox for the Gen3 cars. I've looked for some posts on it but haven't come across any (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). It seems as though the upgrade is potentially significant (let's just say I could use my Gen2 car as a down payment!).

Does anyone have any more information they can share on the timing of this upgrade? Performance impact? Homologation into the rules (required, optional, new class, weight penalty)?

I've been wanting to upgrade from Gen2 to Gen3 but adding $15k to that decision is a pretty big nut to crack.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Tristan Welling
SRF #32
NEDiv
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:07 pm
The Box Was being driven by Mike Davis this past year who works at Enterprise. Mike is fast so was hard to judge what performance advantage it is.

The CSR's should have a few boxes or should be getting them very soon. They are going to be a limited number as it will be larger scale testing. I believe it will also be an evaluation on if they will be fully adopted by the class. Most likely they will be adopted as the current gearbox situation is the weak link of the car.

The box is made by Sadev and will be cable operated. Those who will be running the box this year will not be scoring points. I am sure someone will be able to chime in and elaborate more on the whole situation. I do know it is not going to be cheap but should have long service intervals that will offset down the line.

I am in the same boat as I will eventually want to upgrade to a Gen 3, yet it is not cheap to convert it. Now add this new gearbox and yeah will be a lot. But we cannot have these failures that are happening and it will add longevity to the class.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 pm
twelling wrote:I've been wanting to upgrade from Gen2 to Gen3 but adding $15k to that decision is a pretty big nut to crack.

Hang in there Tristan! We've got a fun GEN2 bunch in NER. A couple of new players last year. Budget racing at it's best. :D
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)

Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm
The sequential is BAD ASS! If the Gen2 to Gen 3 upgrade was rated at a 9...the sequential upgrade would be rated at a 10 in my opinion.

Foot to the floor, grabbing gears...in a Spec Racer!?!?!?!? Hell ya. :D

YES, I get it is not a $99.99 upgrade, but not only does it add a major cool factor, it also fixes a weak spot in the current package. If you have raced more than 1 or 2 times a year in the past 5 years...you have broken a gearbox and/or a clutch. Even the "easy" drivers have broken them. The "tough on stuff" guys can't go 5 races without breaking one, sometimes less!!!!

How many of you have shifted from 3rd to 2nd, trying to get 4th? Or how about 4th to 3rd instead of 5th? There is still some risk with over revs downshifting too soon, but the overall risk is greatly reduced.

Start checking your couch cushions, you WILL want one a sequential transmission.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:38 pm
I'm looking forward to it, but my understanding is that you can't run one at the runoffs so I hope my latest gearbox and clutch will make it through this year and the sadev will be the last one I have to buy. Of course then I'm sure we'll move on to breaking other things like half shafts :)
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 am
Other than the wing, aren't we just building-up an SRF into one of these?

https://bit.ly/3dC9Khg

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
75/917/962
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 am
Todd Vanacore has been running one in the Majors and has given it high marks. Todd was fast before the Sadev and was equally fast with it so it will be interesting to see what direction this goes.

I'm curious to see if it becomes a Gen 4 or just an option.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Positions in races often change due to missed or even slightly bobbled shifts. So even without auto-blip and/or auto spark cut, sequential is a performance enhancement. I don't want to be forced to spend 1/3 to 1/2 the value of my car to be on the same playing field. I like that shifting is a significant factor in the competition. And for me, it's part of the enjoyment and challenge of driving. I've spent most of my life *trying* to perfect the skill.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Yeah, if the auto-blip is perfect, it will get noticeably harder to pick up some easy positions due to errors in the braking zone. Having said that, I don't want to gain positions Sunday morning because somebody went home Saturday night with a broken transmission or blown up clutch.
Maybe the blip and nip will be imperfect, and there will still be a little skill involved, if just a different one?
I've spent a fair bit of money and many lost hours on transmissions and clutch issues since the Gen3 upgrade, so I'm looking forward to a new box, even if it costs as much as my well-used Gen2 cost me many years ago.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:28 pm
I have no doubt the new box will be cool, and I'm sure it will save some gearbox and engine repairs due to driver error, but I don't think a $12K "upgrade" is appropriate for a class based on cost control. With no-lift shifts and no downshifts under braking, I don't see how it won't be a significant performance advantage, so it won't be "optional" for anyone who wants to be competitive.
Next

Return to General Discussions