Sequential Gearbox Upgrade

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:02 pm
Is the sadev box now easily ordered and can srf3 racers bolt them in and run them in the class now? How will those with sadev boxes be treated for runoffs?

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
75/917/962
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:15 pm
They're legal for the runoffs and depending on your capabilities, can be installed by the user.

As far as availability, you would have to check with Enterprises.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm
I weighed both trans units (I'm doing the SADEV install right now) and the stock H pattern weighs 66 lbs., the SADAV weighs 79 lbs.. I also know that the drive shafts are smaller in dia. vs. the other ones... so they will be lighter... I will weigh the old ones after I get them apart, but the new ones weigh 2.2 lbs (short) and 5.6 lbs (long). The dia. of the new ones are significantly smaller I.M.O. 23mm (.902") vs. the old units at 1.125" (long) and 1.0" (short)... I don't have the weights yet on the old units... have to take them apart.
Hope this helps...
Doug

O.K., I weighed the axles... new short is same weight, new long axle is 2 lbs lighter. The new Tripods are the same weight as the old units. ( I used a scale that measures to the tenth of a lb also)

Overall weight gain seems to be ~ 11 lbs. (LR weight)
Last edited by Gearslingr on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:58 pm
Today someone told me that 8 (!) of the new SaDEV trannies broke during the RA Supertour event. Is this accurate? If so are they breaking due to driver error or unknown causes? I’m still waiting for my new $12k transmission, I was really hoping this would be a buy-it-once affair.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 pm
The SWDiv CSR sent around a note warning that trying to shift in or out of reverse while rolling could break something. Otherwise they seem pretty bulletproof so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:13 pm
I ran my Sadev Trans 6 race weekends with test days and a couple open track days last year without auto blip and the Cota Super tour this year with the new auto blip. I could not have done that without a failure or two on the old box. So far it seems to be a tough reliable transmission. Not saying that it is unbreakable but it seems you would have to make a mistake like forcing a shift at an inappropriate RPM or do something like Paul was saying shifting to reverse while still rolling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:12 am
I am relatively new to the SRF. Are you implying that those of us with the older transmission should expect a failure of our transmission every 3 to 4 weekends?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:23 am
Several of us have had pretty bad luck with the H pattern gearbox in Gen 3 cars. Maybe we’re just good at breaking stuff, but luckily the arrival of the SADEV means plenty of spare older transmissions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:57 pm
When I was researching the car and talked to drivers they said the transmission was the weak link but nothing like you might have 2 to 3 transmission failures a year. Kind of surprising that the class could remain that popular if the failure rate is that high.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:09 pm
if you shift hard and fast and are running at the front, you will generally see more failures in the H box than if you are a mid packer who is more gentle. But i also know front runners who never abuse the box, and back markers who blow them up all the time.

So a lot depends on the driver. But as a rule, the H boxes, while not "fragile", are not really robust.

So if you have an H box, it will be fine with proper care, and there are going to be lots and lots of spares out there now.

Just don't treat it like a monster unbreakable T56.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions