Chassis #008 history?

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 am
Okay, I'm going to start a separate thread for the dinner. Don't want to hijack this one.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am
For what it is worth.

In the beginning they build 12 cars. There was a demo race held at Charlotte with 12 drivers invited. I do remember R David Jones from Forth Worth and a fellow named Ben Burrell(sp?) were 2 of the guys involved. That was in July of 1983. At the runoffs they took orders for 40 cars which included the 12 cars used in that race.

Your car #008 would have been one of the 12 cars in that first race and then sold in at the runoffs in the fall of 1983.

I think David Jones is still in the Fort Worth area as I saw his name listed in some race results recently. He was the Chairman of the SCCA Board at the time all this happened and may be able to give you some additional info. He is an attorney and a very nice guy so should be easy to find and I am sure he will be willing to help

Good Luck in your search.

PS I own chassis 39 which I bought new and have owned since. I have wondered if there is anyone out there who has an older car that they bought new and have owned ever since? Tom Darymple is possibility but I know of no others.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 am
R. David Jones is our director in SOWDIV - super nice guy, not difficult to find, his contact info is here:
http://www.sowdivscca.org/administrators.aspx

He was at the 25th and raced in the "exhibition" race or whatever it was called.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 am
From the Mumm Brothers archives, in reference to the first race:

"The eighth car will be for use by SCCA and will be driven in the race by a staff member. On Friday, licensed members of the SCCA Board of Directors (who, with a few exceptions, have not laid eyes on the car since the CSPRRC) will get to drive their new baby, number 8, while Weitzenhof and company continue the test program."

I wonder if "number 8" is your car?

H.(sad to say I was around, back then)B.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:58 pm
Lee Spuhler wrote:PS I own chassis 39 which I bought new and have owned since. I have wondered if there is anyone out there who has an older car that they bought new and have owned ever since? Tom Darymple is possibility but I know of no others.

Mark Fickenscher bought his car new in early 1984 and still races it (he ran in the 1984 Detroit Grand Prix Sports Renault undercard event with it). Don't know the chassis number.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm
Hi Bob,

Personal history. I lived in Houston in the fall of 83. I call called the SCCA the Monday after the runoffs to order a car. A very nice Woman named Patsy Henery was in charge of the program back then and I was told the first chassis was #69. She told me a man in Fort Worth named David Jones had bought 4 cars. I called him and he "sold" me one of the 4 cars he had purchased which was #39, the last of the 4 he had bought at the runoffs. An hour later a friend of mine from Houston, Don Martain called and wanted to buy my #69 car. I sold that car to him. He ran it for several races, then sold it to Brian Till. Yep Brian Till the first Barber Saab Champion, Atlantic Champion, Indy Lights, IndyCar and Trans Am driver and Mid Ohio instrustor etc.

I had not seen him in years until I showed up at Mid Ohio and saw him teaching a school there. I was flattered that he remembered who I was and it was great to see him again. So if you have car #69 at one time it was driven by a very quick fellow.

The race you refer to I believe was held June 12, 1984. I know I did not have my car in time to go to that race so it is likely that Mark had an eariler car than me. Mark lives near me in Ohio. I met Mark at Nelsons Ledges in 2001 during a brief return, but have not talked to him since. I will have to ask him sometime.

As for Hal, If you remember all that stuff I just mentioned, I feel sorry for you because you need a life more than I do. I was at Mid Ohio in October but did not get a chance to meet you. Hopefully next year!
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Previous

Return to General Discussions