Is SRF really safe?

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 am
Liz thanks for your thoughts. You have obviously "been there" before. Splits can work but are very track dependent. At VIR or the Glen, a big separation is created. At LRP or NHMS this is less so. I think the track particulars have a lot to do with success/failure of mixing classes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 am
BTW, on the SCCA website, there are no names listed under the Safety Committee.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 am
enzo wrote:Bob D, did Joe get hurt at the Glen?

Yes, Fred. Apparently Joe Doyle suffered a broken shoulder and cracked ribs after being slammed by the SPU Honda, who had no place to go after Joe spun.

By the way, this was on the first turn of a split start. The fast, much heavier SPU cars started with the SRFs in that event. I can tell you that the SPU drivers were not happy about it, just as I would be about running with FVs.

Whether it's SPU, Miatas, or any other heavier street-based vehicle, these cars should not be grouped with us under any circumstance, for any reason. We can't alter the laws of physics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 am
TVBX wrote:Thanks Anthony. You said it all. Glad we can both shake hands in the future.

You are welcome Tom.

After looking at the video closer it appears that ther was an incident going on at the start of the No Name straight and maybe that is why the driver of the Miata that you made contact with slowed down abruptly. I have the feeling that you could not see the incident ahead. Perhaps you care to comment.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:49 am
anthony1k wrote:
TVBX wrote:Thanks Anthony. You said it all. Glad we can both shake hands in the future.

You are welcome Tom.

After looking at the video closer it appears that ther was an incident going on at the start of the No Name straight and maybe that is why the driver of the Miata that you made contact with slowed down abruptly. I have the feeling that you could not see the incident ahead. Perhaps you care to comment.

SRF riding behind a production car really cannot see much other than a rear bumper!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:50 pm
I posted back on page 1 about the shunt. Yes I couldn't see much but a Miata trunk. As I said, I will not hold myself blameless as there looked like I might have had a sight line ahead had I not been pre occupied with the Miata.
I need to figure out how to post my video. I am desperately searching my neighborhood for a 10yr old.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm
TVBX wrote: I am desperately searching my neighborhood for a 10yr old.

The FBI monitors the internet for phrases like this. :D

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:16 pm
Bob Devol wrote:
enzo wrote:Bob D, did Joe get hurt at the Glen?

By the way, this was on the first turn of a split start. The fast, much heavier SPU cars started with the SRFs in that event.

Ouch. The Glen does have a very short distance from s/f to turn one. I forgot, those SPUs take off like rockets but boy can they throw out the anchors, too.
Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food
WDCR Asst. Race Chair, Competition
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1079944414
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 pm
Todd SRF73 wrote:This will be controversial but I'm going to say it.
You do *NOT* want a GCR mandate that SRF have it's own run group.
This *WILL* result in restricted Regionals or Nationals with SRF excluded from racing where there are not enough SRFs to justify a standalone run group.

Personally I believe that if we have mixed SRF and anything groups, it should be grouped with other formula cars and sports racers. Yes they are faster than us (exception being FVs), but they are lighter weight and usually have no trouble seeing SRFs.

Note also that you have the ability to petition the Stewards and file a formal request for action requesting a schedule change and move SRF group out of what ever mixed prod group it is in. Work with your region and officials to do so. If you don't like the answer appeal it! If you can't convince your officials to provide the appropriate class groupings, then a) get youself elected so you can make up approipriate schedules, or b) find races where the class groupings are acceptable!

Finally, everybody has to make decisions about what kinds of tracks they will race on, under what conditions and with what other kinds of cars and or drivers.

I'm with Todd on this...

Smaller SRF race groups should be put in with wings and things. Most of them may be faster, but they see us, and we see them. Put the "couple production cars in a class" groups in with the Miatas or like cars.

I believe it is very unlikely that a "SRF ONLY ALL THE TIME" run group would pass a vote due to some divisions small SRF entrys. Larger SRF race groups should be in one stand alone SRF group.

Split starts usually put the slower cars even closer to the front of the lead pack by starting them farther back. We catch them sooner and therefor they have had less time to "thin" out.

Lets come up with some good solutions soon...
Robert Reed
N.E. SRF#03
A.M.E.C. VW#99
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm
Some paths end badly.

In the northeast, the "mini cup" cars got dropped into Super Production - a GCR-defined catch-all class - but they should NOT be there. Even a casual reading of the SP rules would make you think "no way in hell" on the "mini-cup" cars. But...that's where they ended up. At first, there were no other SPU (under 2.5 litre) cars, so the mini cups and Legends and SRF's could be safely ("safely", not "happily") grouped together.

Fast forward to today, where we have big SPU cars (remember, it's 2.5 litre...I could run my Datsun 240Z in SPU) getting dropped into race groups with SRF. Not good.

It's attractive to the double-dippers, but it doesn't serve the SRF community well.

How to fix (at least in the northeast) ? Create a regional "Min-Tube" class for the tiny cars. Then the real SPU cars can run with the big cars...IT, ST, etc.

SRF can coexist with the small GT and small Prod cars. That's probably the best solution...we need to make sure that we communicate workable solutions to race organizers, either on the regional or divisional level.

I've been in my SRF on track with the fast wings & things, and it's truly terrifying for them and us. Although FVee's sometimes run with SRF, I have nightmares running with Vee's and 500's. Yikes.

I don't understand the resistance of many race organizers to running split starts. Yes, they take planning and coordination...cuz they can go bad. I hope we're not saying "NO" to splits just because it's the easy road.

JW
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions