Is SRF really safe?

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm
Hal B. wrote:This weekend, Mid-Ohio.
Group 4 - SRF, SM ...... 50
600-700 lbs and 4 seconds but the Miata's, for the most part, were very courteous.
H.(How to make a Miata huge...get beside it in a SRF)B.

We had an incident in the enduro but I didn't get the details.

And I agree that the SM drivers were fantastic.
My video of the race is insane...They were EVERYWHERE!
We had large closing speeds but their situational awairness and car control was excellent.
There were big packs, dive bombing and 3-wide racing.

We had a group of 4 SRF cars go through a group of 6 Miatas without slowing down (much) in a really technical part of the track :shock:

I didn't see one car touch another the whole weekend.
Dave Gills
#80 Red/Silver (chassis 504)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:34 pm
I like your idea Mr. Breton and Brad and I considered that at the Glen but I was afraid once the steward knew what we were doing, we risked the black flag. He was very emphatic about all of us starting where we were - after all, "he had a schedule to keep."
Knowing in hindsight, I would have risked it. Hopefully, our Area 10 director, old what's-his-name, can chat with the powers to be later this fall?
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:03 am
Bob

Bob: I'm skipping the NJMP regional for this reason and know others who are, too.

Enzo: Bob I thought at the upcoming regional at NJMP we are by ourselves no?

Bob: Know what, Cookie, you're right. I looks like we do have a separate group for that one. That might change my mind.

I'm glad to see that you are coming to our Jersey Road Racing Classic (The Jerk) on 20-21 October. You'll be pleased to know that the Jersey Racing Board maintains a separate race group for Spec Racers at all of its National and Regional races at NJMP. We feel that this is a sound policy for safe, exciting racing and we have been rewarded by strong support from the Spec racer community. Please spread the word and consider joining us at future events.

See ya at the races

Terry

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:06 pm
Until now, I was wondering why Joe had not signed up for the upcoming NJMP race. Joe, I hope you have a fast recovery. We’ll miss you this weekend. Why am I not surprised that you packed up and drove home with broken bones. Always suspected you are a tough cookie.
Myself…I no longer run races where our group is combined with others. I have run races with other groups in the past and most of them were cut short due to accidents or fluid on tracks (love those small bore guys but their cars leak a lot). Also the frustration of racing other SRF’s with small bore cars that were stronger than ours in straight lines but much slower in the corners. I have written letters to the regions running the events that mix our class to plead my case. The major case being, it’s dangerous. Never resulted in any changes.
I think I may not be alone in not running with mixed groups. It may be worth noting that all SCCA events that run at NJMP have never mixed the SRF’s with anyone else (even with as few as 7 SRF’s) and I think it may be one of the reasons they have averaged 26 SRF’s per event this year, to date. The South Jersey Region has been very loyal to this commitment and treat the SRF community really well. Summit point did not combine our group this year either. I hope it stays that way. I attend many of the Summit events and all of the NJMP events.
I will also write to the CRB since that seems to be what all of the long time SRF community guys are saying to do. Thanks for that advice.

These are my humble opinions. I have only been racing for 4 years which has made me hesitant on putting my thoughts on this forum. I hope my letter to the CRB will help matters.

Steve T
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am
Thanks for sending your request to the CRB, Steve. This could end being a tough go getting the Club to understand and address our concerns. We'll have to keep at it until something is done. At least the WDC and South Jersey Regions get it!
Previous

Return to General Discussions