Medicals for us old folks

All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 pm
Just received my comp license renewal and printed in boldface type is "Medical NOT Required ...". Did the GCR change for those over 60? I know this was discussed during the summer but I never saw a conclusion.

Marking time until I qualify for medicare ...

Rich Kenny
#33 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 pm
They changed for everybody for 2012. But for those of us over 60 they went to a 2 year medical. Now all you need to do is run 4 Nationals and renewal gets real easy.
Bob
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:31 pm
Thanks!

Rich

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:10 pm
Of course, if you have some history of heart trouble, diabetes, etc.... you probably want an annual medical regardless of what the SCCA requires, but that's just my opinion...
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 pm
Happened to be heading out for my 6 month checkup and got confused as well, so ended up calling the SCCA office to confirm that the over 60 rule is now bi-annual. Doctor was happy as he thinks the annual physical is annoying (especially having to dig out old eye/color blindness test machines.) Of course, he has the same opinion about my driving a race car!

and, Bob, you only need 3 Nationals to renew without filling in forms (hint, Tony, hint) ;)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 am
breton wrote:Happened to be heading out for my 6 month checkup and got confused as well, so ended up calling the SCCA office to confirm that the over 60 rule is now bi-annual. Doctor was happy as he thinks the annual physical is annoying (especially having to dig out old eye/color blindness test machines.) Of course, he has the same opinion about my driving a race car!

and, Bob, you only need 3 Nationals to renew without filling in forms (hint, Tony, hint) ;)

Well if you guys want to avoid filling out forms :lol: run your Double National down there in March then come on up to our region for our July 13-15 Double National at PIR which is designated a Supertour event. It's the weekend after Infineon so don't do any damage that weekend.

Bob, my Doctor expreses same opinion. I tell him my racing goal is to be healtly enough to spend my well earned Social Security checks (when they start coming in a few years) on race tires!
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 pm
I was relieved mostly because my regular doc has the same reaction as above. He doesn't normally do eye exams and hearing tests so when I bring this form around all I hear is a lot of grumbling. At least he doesn't give me a hard time about the dangers of racing ... he's a rock climber and usually has some visible contusions from his last visit to the Sierras!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:24 pm
Yeah, my doc flat out wouldn't do the eye exam so I had to go to my eye doctor separately. I need to get my eye exam and my physical to line up next time... or get a regular doc that isn't scared to do a basic vision test.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 pm
Seems every doc I've handed an SCCA Physical form to over the years has appeared flummoxed at first.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm
There's a reason for that, Bob. THEY ARE! And it never ceases to amaze me that after my 21 years of SCCA competition, my medical colleagues - many of whom I think know me well- ask me questions like " Do you wear a helmet?" and " Did you race against Dale Earnhardt?"But my all time favorite was the physician who complained in a staff meeting several years ago that the hospital's new call-in dictation system was incompatible with his car phone. When I said that under no circumstances should he be dictating a chart while driving, he replied " Why not- I know where I am going and I don't drive very fast".

Return to General Discussions