Sports 2000

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:34 pm
An older DSR is cheaper, faster, has better participation, and likely has cheaper running costs. Plus you have the option of upgrading to new hardware at some point. Is anyone making S2000's anymore? They all look to be 20 years old chassis with 40 year old engines.

As someone else said I would suggest keeping pace with developments in FC, and encouraging the use of fendered FC cars like CSR does with FA's. Heck, some of those guys race both classes sometimes, switching to the sports racer body after the FA race.

To recent generations the enclosed rear fenders and lack of a rear wing looks odd on a sports racing car.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:49 pm
I've been racing in SRF for almost 20 years. During that time I've often looked at other cars, particularly other sports racers since I happen to like the genre, and thought "gee - that looks like fun - goes faster, handles better, etc, etc, etc". S2000 is certainly one of the classes I've considered.

And I've also always decided to stick with SRF for the simple reason that SRF provides a much better competitive environment that allows me to evaluate my ability as a driver/racer better than any other class that I've seen - the only other that looks close is SM.

Add in overall cost of ownership, safety, and the convenience of having multiple prep shops around that are skilled at prepping SRFs and provide trackside parts and service and you've got a package that's pretty tough to beat.

In running something between 150 and 200 race weekends, I can recall only a tiny handful of sessions missed because the car wasn't ready to perform. Mechanical DNFs are also very rare. And I've crash tested my car a few times over the years and I can testify to both it's safety and relative ease/expense of repair.

I don't pretend to know the answer to S2000's problem - maybe a conversion like the Fit motor for Formula F would help. But regardless, I doubt that SRF will provide more than a handful of "upgrade drivers" - and those will come from the ranks of the "just passing through" who move on to something better/faster before they take root in SRF.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 pm
Before getting involved with Spec Racers, I crewed S2 for 9 years (and got to drive it a few times). From a performance perspective, there is little comparison between an S2 and SRF. That said, the primary reason I decided to buy a SRF was the main reason many others have previously stated. There is *always* someone to race with, the playing field is very level, and it is a great class in which to constantly develop and gauge your skill level. If there were large S2 fields, would I consider it? Maybe, but at this point I see no reason to move away from the most competitive SCCA class there is!
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Previous

Return to General Discussions