WGI National

All things specracer!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm
Was working on my race schedule and saw that the WGI National is July 7 and 8 with a test day on the 6th. I wonder if it is still a double?

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:01 pm
No, it is not. NEDIV racing regions have agreed to one double in the division each year on a rotating basis. However, NEDIV is also using what is known as a Bonus National. Each race group gets a second race at some track during the year. This is all on the latest NEDIV schedule (nediv.com, then look at the News topics on the right side of the home page).

Dave

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm
Too bad...it was one of the best events on the schedule.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:51 pm
Yeah, it's unfortunate. The double this year is at Nelsons as well, which doesn't make much sense (to me).
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Too bad is an understatement. The Northeast Division Double National this year is at Nelson Ledges. Now, I am one of the few who actually like Nelson Ledges (unlike in years past, there are flush toilets and showers), and the grass in the paddock is nice (unless it rains a lot and then you better bring a tractor), but I think it is just plain dumb not to have an annual double at the Glen. By the way, this year we get an "extra" National at New Jersey Motorsport Park, first weekend in June. If you haven't raced there, I highly recommend it.

Michael Hausknecht (NE#60)

P.S. Hi Steve, you beat me to it!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:12 pm
Quick question..if I wanted to try a new track but had time for just one, would anyone recommend Nelson Ledges or Summit as a better choice. Thanks.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:22 pm
Lee wrote:Quick question..if I wanted to try a new track but had time for just one, would anyone recommend Nelson Ledges or Summit as a better choice. Thanks.

After literally a thousand or more laps at NL, and maybe a couple hundred at SP, I'd vote SP. But my data is out of date, it's been over 5 years since I've been at either.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 pm
Both tracks have interesting layouts but SP is in much better shape overall and I was never crazy about the narrow front straight at NL.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 pm
Lee,
Of the two Summit has better amenities. Nelson's is just the balls to drive. You wont find anyplace faster other than maybe Glen short course. It's where I cut my teeth and I miss the place dearly. Yes, it's narrow, yes it's bumpy, but it has character. If you didn't care about having a flush toilet or hot water shower at the track then go to Nelsons. Its a great old throwback track. And if I'm not wrong (John Walsh maybe a little help here) but I believe Nelson's was the first track to really utilize a tire wall as the track is lined with it on both sides all the way around. Who knows you may even see me a Nelson's or Summit Point this year. 8-) :twisted: :roll:

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:40 am
Lee -

I have to agree that Summit is in better shape and wins the amenities contest. It's where I started out, but my vote goes to Nelsons. Sure, it's rough as hell and a touch dangerous (bridge on the front straight anyone?), but turns 1, 2 & the Carousel have a lot of lessons to teach about speed that carry over to so many tracks. After I run there I seem to be better everywhere else. For that reason, it's a place that I try to keep on the schedule every year, even if the grounds aren't much.

Summit is fun too, and turns 3 & 10 have their own share of lessons. Both tracks have fantastic volunteers and put on a great weekend. In the end, it's hard to go wrong by going to the track that has the double.
Steve Pence
SRF 9
Next

Return to General Discussions