Hybrid Pro Head and Neck

All things specracer!
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 pm
I am probably one of the last one's here to purchase a Head and Neck system. I know most of you run the Hans and I have tried one on and my have size picked out. However, the Hybrid Pro that Simpson is marketing has my interest. It looks less restrictive and has a Side Stabilizing Feature.

Does anyone run one of these? The bigger question is do you like it and why or why not?
Dave Lancaster
SRF # 44 Great Lakes Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:41 pm
I have it. I liked it so much I became a dealer for them.

I had a HANS before and have also used the DefNder.

Sizing is based on the chest size while wearing a driving suit. Although it almost aways is the same as your jacket size too.

Once it is on and I'm out on track I don't notice it at all. Same for the HANS. The DefNder hit the bottom of my helmet.

Getting it on is slightly more involved than HANS. However the amount of time between the two is about 20 seconds. The post attachment is just slightly slower once you are used to it. Takes a bit longer to get used to though (maybe another day or two in car and it'll be second nature.).

Vision/Movement. Slightly less than the Vision Advantage (sliding tether) HANS. But just slightly. Nothing that has ever been an issue on course or in the paddock.

Since they aren't as ubiquitous I am always willing to let others test one out and sit in the car before they purchase too.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 pm
I have the HANS but the hard shoulder arm hurts and bruises my right collar bone to the point that it becomes almost unbearable - I have broken that collar bone 3 times many years ago and the bone didn't heal correctly so it a large knot. Does the new hybrid have a similar shoulder arm?

Thanks - Clay
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 am
claysylvester wrote:I have the HANS but the hard shoulder arm hurts and bruises my right collar bone to the point that it becomes almost unbearable - I have broken that collar bone 3 times many years ago and the bone didn't heal correctly so it a large knot. Does the new hybrid have a similar shoulder arm?

Thanks - Clay

Have you tried replacing the standard pads under the shoulder arms with the gel-pack pads?

My brother and I both had trouble with bruising over the collar bone initially, but this went away when we switched to the gel-pack pads. Not everyone carries the gel-pack pads, but they usually run about $75 a set.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 pm
claysylvester wrote:I have the HANS but the hard shoulder arm hurts and bruises my right collar bone to the point that it becomes almost unbearable - I have broken that collar bone 3 times many years ago and the bone didn't heal correctly so it a large knot. Does the new hybrid have a similar shoulder arm?

Thanks - Clay

No it sits behind your neck/upper back. Shouldn't be any issue for your collarbones at all.

I do have a set of ZoomBang HANS pads that you could try if you wanted. However i think the gel HANS pads (especially the older ones) might give you the best chance of getting the HANS to fit.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 pm
Thanks for the responses - I did try the gel packs - even had them specially sewed in pouches and velcroed with the normal pads - still no relief. I will get the Hybrid.

Return to General Discussions