New SCCA "Majors" Program

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 pm
I received an SCCA Press Release announcing something called a "Majors" program. I'll let the release speak for itself, but what caught my eye was:

“Multi-class racing, whether in amateur or professional motorsports, is done out of necessity,” Dahnert added. “That’s why the Runoffs and special festival events are so popular. If you can fill a field with only one class, the drivers are much happier. Every car on the track represents a position.

“The problem is, with so many classes, we need an event as long as the Runoffs to accommodate everyone. The Majors Invitational events take the top 10, or so, classes within the Zone and gives them additional opportunities to run in large fields without the impact of several other classes on the track.”

It's only in a few regions at this point.

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50909
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm
I got the full skinny email today... it's definitely changed my planned schedule for the year. I'll reserve a definitive opinion for after the first full season, but my reaction so far is one of excitement.

Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 am
It will be very interesting to see how the economics of this works out for the regions. If they can make the $$$$$$ come out, then this could be really good for the better subscribed classes. Question is whether it is going to add interest (read entries) or just move entries from one event to another.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm
I guess I will be seeing you more often this year Denny. I too am excited about the pilot program. I hope this can fill some of the void created by the loss of our pro series.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 am
The "Invitational" events sound like a lot of fun, with a two-day event having three races.

The "Showcase" events that focus on the less subscribed classes may be a weak spot. They may have a hard time getting the entries to make those economically viable.

Interesting that they decided to add yet another way to qualify for the RunOffs. You can now qualify by running just three events, as long as they are Majors.

Return to General Discussions