Wheel Speed Sensor Location

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 pm
I am installing, in my Gen2, a used Race Technology DASH2 that I recently picked up. It was installed on a different type of car. I am looking for suggestions on a simple, robust location for the wheel speed sensor. Any suggests would be appreciated.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:14 pm
I've used both proximity and magnetic. The proximity sensor was more difficult as the clearance needed to be fairly tight to get a reading. I also used steel springs pressed into holes I drilled in the backside of the hub (two), then a piece of angle aluminum mounted to the upright to mount the sensor close enough to pick up a signal from the two pins. This all works well if the hub bearing is tight, but the close tolerances were problematic with any wobble in the hub.

I later went with magnetic sensors mounted to the transmission with an angle bracket to align the sensor to read the rotation of the inner rear CV joint where I glued on some small neodymium magnets (think I went with three but one will work). The clearance is more tolerant so I could mount the sensor with enough gap to deal with any play. I found that just some RTV was generally sufficient to keep the magnets in place (though I also kept some extra magnets in case I had lost one or had to change inner CV.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:19 pm
Thanks Bob. I have been trying to get it to work on the front, so that I do not have wheel spin issues, but the rear may be easier. Wheel spin is probably not a big deal with our cars.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm
You may want to mark your rear rims and tires. Then watch to see if you are having the tire rotate on the rim.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm
I have seen people place a second nut on the front spindle bolt and attach a magnet there. All you need is a very thin piece of aluminum to attach to an upright bolt to hold the sensor. I had this working but lost the nut and my calculations were not very precise and I was able to get CDS GPS to work with my AIM system and switched over to that.
Chris B
Chicago Region
Flagging and Communications / Emergency Services

Good chance you have seen me waving flags like a crazy person at some point.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:33 pm
I use a Hall Effect sensor triggered by a notch wheel mounted to the hub center bolt on the front end. I found a Mercury Marine ignition rotor that is the perfect size, just have to take the rotor off and drill the center bolt hole out to the size of the hub bolt. I made the bracket out of aluminum and the upright bolts hold it on.

Mercrusier 13524A3 or Sierra 18-5431
Attachments
Mercruiser 13524A3 SM.jpg
Mercruiser 13524A3 SM.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 11668 times
Sensor Mount and Gap Wheel 1.jpg
Sensor Mount and Gap Wheel 1.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 11668 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm
Hi!

I have a Dash 2 with DL1 Mk3 in my car.

If the wheel speed sensor ends up being problematic...

The mph on my dash 2 is generated from a combination of gps fom the DL1 and RPM source. Another option might be to get a used DL1 Club which would allow your mph, but also data log within the same system. (more $ but may be better than a dive into problematic sensors- I've seen them go for $400-500 on Facebook marketplace and Apexspeed)

I've been happy with my Dash 2 w/ DL1. Back when I bought it (quite a few years ago) I liked the form factor of the Dash 2 out of all the dash type loggers.

Also- with the RT stuff- you can export in an aim compatible file format- seems a lot of people use Aim in these cars- so that's important to compare.

Harrison

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions