Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm
All,
I just came into a batch of rockers that were purportedly repaired by PBS. Looking at them, two I can see are seriously twisted, and the other three all look like they are drooping/bent as well.
Does anyone have a methodology (and hopefully numbers I should be looking for) that I could use to see if they are really out of true vs just not passing my (admittedly quite fallible) eye test?

I've tried multiple ways of measuring them but I'm not coming up with anything repeatable that seems accurate.
Help please!
Thanks,
Denny

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am
If you have a known good one put a pivot pin and bolt through it and support the assembly on a bench by the ends of the bolt resting on a pair of sockets. put another bolt through the shock tabs and rest that on another socket so the whole thing is now resting on 3 points. Plug a ball joint into the other hole and try to measure where it is suspended in space. Now repeat that procedure with the others in question. This should get you close.

There is probably a reason you ended up with these on the cheap. We used to utilize PBS for this straightening procedure but after a few failed units and especially after the newer internally braced units came out we no longer straighten old ones.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions