Throttle Position Sensor takeoff?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:54 pm
Is there an allowed point in the system to monitor the stock TPS signal, or does NO MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED to the electrical system mean you can't even tap the signal? In my mind it's no different than tapping into the tach signal for data acquisition (permitted under GCR 9.3.17) but I've heard some folks opine that it's special, which would mean getting TPS data requires spending more money on an external sensor.

C.22 l and r seem to indicate you can add additional wiring as long as it's separate from the stock harness and traceable.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 pm
pmiranda wrote:Is there an allowed point in the system to monitor the stock TPS signal, or does NO MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED to the electrical system mean you can't even tap the signal? In my mind it's no different than tapping into the tach signal for data acquisition (permitted under GCR 9.3.17) but I've heard some folks opine that it's special, which would mean getting TPS data requires spending more money on an external sensor.

C.22 l and r seem to indicate you can add additional wiring as long as it's separate from the stock harness and traceable.

Great questions! :) And not just the TPS.

Something the new ECU should solve...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm
What new ECU?
did I miss something and how much is that going to cost.
I am still struggling with having to buy new rains.
Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm
The RPM signal that everyone taps into is an ECU OUTPUT. The throttle position signal is an input, so there is that difference. We asked about this years ago (many) and were told it was not allowed.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am
Paul,

Why do you want to tap into the TPS as opposed to using a plunger on the throttle pedal? Is it to save the cost of the plunger sensor? ($165 will buy a lot of beer, but not even one rain tire!)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am
Ed Cavalier wrote:Paul,

Why do you want to tap into the TPS as opposed to using a plunger on the throttle pedal? Is it to save the cost of the plunger sensor? ($165 will buy a lot of beer, but not even one rain tire!)

That's true, but a side benefit of getting input from the live sensor is it is a big help when trouble-shooting. Plus the plunger ends up being one more mechanical piece to worry about.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:41 am
JFR wrote:What new ECU?
did I miss something and how much is that going to cost.
I am still struggling with having to buy new rains.

Haven't heard anything from our local CSR, but it seems one from somewhere else told me they are testing a new Motec ECU.
Dave Harriman

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions