"Outlaw SPEC" My GEN 1 is in SEDiv SPU!

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am
phantomjock wrote:
Rod wrote:You can also use the tranny out of a mid-90s Mazda Protege. They are exactly the same except for two items.

The clutch throwout fork is towards the bottom.

THe tranny comes with the "newer" more usable 5th gear ratio.

Rod S

ROD S. - Thanks for that tip! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Meanwhile as an update:
From Inspection: Valve guides in Intake #1 and 3 had slipped down about 1/4-3/8 inch. Number 4 was nearly out of its seat!

Head is off will refresh and "flatten", do some port and polish work, valve job, and try and squeeze some ponys out of the Renault. Considering some Carb mod ideas as well as a clutch refresh.

For the near term - looks like my "Outlaw" may be constrained to being a bit of a a modified Renault. I'll try and squeeze all the HP I can out of it. Say, anybody got a good condition Formula 2000 Renault lying around in the basement?

Thanks for help and support -
Cheers - Jim

If you're going to Renault for power, I believe there were "Super Sports Renaults" that ran in NASA on the West Coast a while back. I think these engines were built by Rebello and used 2-liter Renault heads and cams. These cars were powerful and light and could blow the sidepods of GEN2 SRFs.

Maybe get in touch with Rebello at rebelloracing.com? They might have details on that.

Perhaps Bob Breton, who lives in Northern California, has seen these cars run and can add something here?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:25 am
Bob D.-
Thanks for that. I got a lead on Rebello Racing via Bob Brenton. Contacted them and they unloaded all their Renault gear a few years back. Maybe to that 3rd party that was running NASA. If Bob Brenton chimes in - I may have a lead - otherwise that trail may be cold.

I've been looking for Sports Renault engines - still running formula in Canada - but no leads there - just yet.

The Clio engine was a 2 liter, but no joy in the junkyards - just yet. Same block - just larger pistons and stroked. As the Renault F3R version, it was up to 140+ HP non-turbo!

I have a lead on an SCCA Enterprises engine in the midwest - built and still sealed (make a great spare) but it has been sitting for a long time, and the current owner is sorting out shipping still.

Meanwhile, I'm cleaning up the chassis (rear subsection). Many decades of repaints to clean off.

Thanks - and Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52 am
Where are you located, we can't find Red Neck Riveria on a map?

John Bowden has a number of Renault engines, transmission etc.
Last edited by Robert Mumm on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:55 pm
Robert Mumm wrote:Where are you located, we can't find Red Neck Riveria on a map?

John Bowden has a number of Renault engines, transmission etc.

Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

Red Neck Riveria, aka the "Panhandle of FL," Hurricane Alley, or "Lower Alabama." Although we are famous for sugar-white sands and the world's luckiest fishing village, Destin. I'm in Fort Walton Beach, just across the bay.

Thanks for the lead - John Bowden. I'll give him a shout. Much appreciated.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions