Setting Air Fuel Ratio?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 pm
Hi folks, well I got the adjustable fuel pressure and an airfuel sensor with gauge. (I have the lead for traqmate data and will get around to that in a month or two.)

A few questions for you experts:

1. I've heard that the optimium mix is 12.6 to 12.8. What RPM should I check at, does it matter?
2. The measurement is Low numbers=Rich, High numbers=Lean, right?
3. Does turning the screw counterclockwise go leaner? (or vice versa)?

Thanks much!

Eric
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 pm
Didn't instructions come with the adjustable regulator? It is a little more complicated than that...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:21 pm
Thanks Dave, I got it installed and pre-set. Just looking for at track fine-tuning advice and confirmation of which way to turn fuel pressure regulator for rich/lean.

Eric
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:44 pm
You probably want to set your f/p under load. We do it on a dyno, which is convenient since we can use their A/F readings to check against ours.

It's been a while, but I think it's clockwise to increase fuel pressure - that doesn't necessarily have a direct effect on A/F ratio.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 pm
I check our cars in 4th gear full throttle at 5000 rpms. Higher number is leaner (15.1) lower is richer(13.1) 14.7 is the middle, above leaner, below richer. Turn regulator in makes pressure higher and richer. Out lowers the pressue and it will get leaner.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 am
Increasing fuel pressure has a direct affect on A/F ratio, with higher fuel pressure lowering the A/F ratio (lower is richer). Generally, FP in the high 30's/low 40's will be close to ideal (high 12's/low 13's). 1/8 of a turn makes about 0.2 different in AF ratio, so minor adjustments can make a big difference. Best is to check under load on a dyno, or with an AF sensor in-car. Should remain fairly consistent throughout the normal range (4,200-5,600). Good idea to start with freshly rebuilt injectors.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 pm
breton wrote:Increasing fuel pressure has a direct affect on A/F ratio, with higher fuel pressure lowering the A/F ratio (lower is richer). ...

But it can vary with different cars and intake pieces.
Dave Harriman

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions