Heat Shield for gen 2

Technical and Repair Discussions

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:11 pm
I am in the process of changing engines in our Gen 2 and am updating several items, while the engine is out. I am installing the smaller alternator and replacing motor mounts, belts etc. One thing that I have never liked was the heat shield that was used. It needs replacing and I am wondering if there is a material that would be better suited for this purpose. When we purchased our 2nd car new, a few years ago, it came apart from it's backing in a matter of a couple of years and there must be a better product out there that does a better job. Has anyone found a better option? If not I will reluctantly have to get a new replacement of the old product.

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:09 am
You don't need the heat shield (if you're referring to the one on the firewall behind the driver). You can toss it. There is no significant heat there anymore since that's the intake side, and with the headers coming off the back side.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:32 am
I believe there is a rule about not modifying the heat shield as supplied from Enterprises, not sure if it has been changed for the Gen3.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:37 am
Greg, I need to replace it on our gen 2. I did toss the old one on our gen 3 when we made the conversion. I couldn't use it as a replacement for our gen 2 as it was also falling apart. Dave, you might be right, I might have to get a new one or at least a good one from someone who has converted and hasn't tossed it out. Thanks

Pat

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:38 am
I have seen 2 types. Old style was thin and seem to always be falling apart when I have seen them. Later ones where thicker and different material, Aluminum.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:47 am
goolsbey wrote:Greg, I need to replace it on our gen 2. I did toss the old one on our gen 3 when we made the conversion. I couldn't use it as a replacement for our gen 2 as it was also falling apart. Dave, you might be right, I might have to get a new one or at least a good one from someone who has converted and hasn't tossed it out. Thanks

Pat

My mistake. I was assuming you were going Gen 3. There should be a LOT of good old ones around. The trick is getting one. I tossed mine.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:34 pm
"I have seen 2 types. Old style was thin and seem to always be falling apart when I have seen them. Later ones where thicker and different material, Aluminum

If someone has a good one, I will buy it from you. If Not will buy new. Thanks! Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:56 pm
Pat, I think I still have mine lying around in the shop. I'll check tonight, and if it looks decent, I'm happy to send it to you.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:42 pm
That would be great! It has to be better than the one I have. Send me an email at patrickgoolsbey@hotmail.com and I will buy it from you. Thanks

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:30 am
Pat -
Last 2 nights have been crazy, but I'll try to take a picture or two tonight and email to you.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions