Basic starting set up for new owner.

Technical and Repair Discussions

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 am
Hello Again,

Well, now that I have my new SRF at home and on the lift, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a basic starting point on set up numbers ( ride height, camber, caster , toe..... ) Now, I am not asking for the hard earned, time tested secret stuff, just a basic starting point to begin testing from. I have read the Mumm Brothers set up data but I was not sure how much of that transferred over to the Goodyear tires. Anyway, if you would rather post something offline, I understand.

Thanks!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 am
Did you get any basic information from the prior owner (assuming the car was run under current specs?)

You are correct that the Mumm Brothers setup is not applicable to the Goodyears due to differing construction and use of a single tire size. Generally, the cars are now set up much straighter than when running radial tires. Ride height seems to be one of the those areas where there are a lot of differing opinions. It's a compromise due to the size of the front tires to get the car as low as legally possible; because of stress issues on the rear axles, a lot of the effort is being made to reduce the extreme angles of the axles in the back, and widely differing setup depending on track type (compromises between straight line performance and handling), so it will vary depending on where you race. Less toe and caster are common.

If you have a CSR or prep shop in the area, you may want to ask if they'd set up the car for you in return for a good, basic setup. Worth the initial investment as there are more subtle and time-consuming areas to set up than the basics (e.g. bump steer, dynoing shocks, corner weights, etc).

I generally caution new drivers about investing too much energy in car setup until you've had sufficient seat time to get a feel for the cars. Get another driver (preferable someone at the pointy end of the grid) in your car during a test day for a sanity check; it will be fastest way to ensure that you have a good basic setup. If you have data acquisition, this will give you a baseline set of numbers (more valuable than setup advise.) Then measure everything for future reference and ask for help if you get into trouble.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 pm
This would be my base set up. 3.5 neg. camber front and rear, +4 caster, rear caster set by bump but from 0 to -1, ride height 3 inch in front, 1/4 to 1/2 higher in rear (rake). 0 tow. This is just to start then put on scales if you can and tweak . 50% left and right. I know there are going to be many different setup's but this is a fair starting point and adjust like Bob said after some seat time.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 pm
Thanks for the information Bob and Tony.

Bob, My car was not really used much by the past two owners, in the past 10 years. The past owner only ran the car 2 times last year and it was a rental in his fleet of other cars so it has a very basic set up. I agree that I should got to a local prep shop, and that is my plan soon, I just want to make sure that car is in the ballpark first, I am a DIY type of person and I enjoy the set up aspect of working on my race cars.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 pm
Don't forget to measure it as you got it. The basic setups are usually good ones.

It is really good to measure often. Both to get the practice and it can tell you a lot about what's going on with your car. Bouncing on the suspension and pushing it on and off the scales can help you find things that are loose or sticking.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions