Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:13 am
Found this online: http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-fitzgerald/sears-craftsman-tools-what-happened-0 - What do you think?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Home Depot will exchange broken Sears crap ratchets for their superior finer tooth ratchets. Same for their torque wrenches.

Going forward HD will be around much longer than Sears in my opinion.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 pm
AZC wrote:Home Depot will exchange broken Sears crap ratchets for their superior finer tooth ratchets. Same for their torque wrenches.

Wow, that's pretty smart of Home Depot. I've had mixed results with their mechanic's tools (same with Lowe's).

Sears has been in the hands of a corporate raider for a few years now. They have been doing stuff that almost seems like they are trying to kill the company (there is some speculation that he is). It's ironic that Sears started as a mail-order company, switched to a department store model, and is now being killed by the internet version of mail-order.

Sears did the same thing with Orchard Supply Hardware, which has been around since Silicon Valley was prune orchards. OSH had a lot of cash, Sears bought them, stripped the cash, and dumped them. Now they are trying to come back.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:34 pm
dave wrote:
AZC wrote:Home Depot will exchange broken Sears crap ratchets for their superior finer tooth ratchets. Same for their torque wrenches.

Wow, that's pretty smart of Home Depot. I've had mixed results with their mechanic's tools (same with Lowe's).

Sears has been in the hands of a corporate raider for a few years now. They have been doing stuff that almost seems like they are trying to kill the company (there is some speculation that he is). It's ironic that Sears started as a mail-order company, switched to a department store model, and is now being killed by the internet version of mail-order.

Sears did the same thing with Orchard Supply Hardware, which has been around since Silicon Valley was prune orchards. OSH had a lot of cash, Sears bought them, stripped the cash, and dumped them. Now they are trying to come back.

I’m 38 years old and come from a hot rod & racing family. We used craftsman mainly due to durability & price. I know for a fact my first tool set was craftsman. Bought when I was 11 years old to work on my Emmick Kart.

I also have a craftsman 3 ton floor jack that I bought back in 92 to work on my 67 Camaro. It was a big expense for me at the time but was justified because my dad’s 20 year old jack was still going. "this one will last me a life time". The hydraulic pump/seals have crapped out on mine recently. I spent well over 2-3 hours researching how to find the seals and found nothing but road blocks and was told to junk it by sears. No warranty!!

Sears is nothing more than a sourcing company going back to the mid to late 80’s. They charge a premium and add a warranty (that they may or may not honor) for the same tool you can buy at harbor freight for 1/3rd the price.

I now own two costco jacks. :mrgreen:

There’s an age old “Buy Mercian” argument here that can be made. For the most part it appears sears sold us customers out about the same time they screwed their employees.

I buy were quality, value and warranty intersect.

Live and learn. I’ve moved on.........................

In regard to the intellectually dishonest comment in the article about all the part time jobs due to 0 care. What did they think was going to happen? Elections have consequences. :shock:

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:52 pm
FYI: Orchard Supply has been owned by Lowe's for a couple of years

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions