Gen2 Sensor Signal Output

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:25 pm
I've done some searching around the forum, and as a complete noob to SRF, am unclear about a few points.

I am running my car with its extant Gen2 engine until it starts to lose power or the end of the season, but I want to put my new dash in place -- it is an AIM MXL2. Can I use the existing water temp, oil pressure, and tach wires as inputs into the MXL2, or do I need to buy new sensors and install them? Anyone tried to run an MXL or MXL2 with a gen2?

It looks like the tach is an ecu signal, easy enough to get working. What about the other gauges?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:23 pm
The tach is off a blue wire, just hook it up. Not a very strong signal, though. We have a car with a w/b o2 system that takes tach input split off the (real gauge) tach input, and have problems with it acting up until we cleaned the butt connector further up stream.
Most people install separate sensors for the other stuff, especially since the Aim sensors use the four-wire cables. Use a "T" connector for coolant temp. Just ditch the OP gauge, it doesn't go to the ECU anyway.
For a while, we were logging the O2 sensor, but it is pretty much useless, especially if you've got a wideband one.
One thing I just did was connect an Innovate gauge output to another brand of dash which works great and it kind of elegant from and wiring stand-point. Most of our cars have Innovate sensors (through controllers) connected directly to the dash, but we had one with a gauge we took off a Gen3 and I tried it just to see how it worked. If I was doing it again, I probably would have replaced the gauges with ones that generate and output signal, rather than just eliminating the gauges.
The Mumm bros site has a table that shows the attributes of all the sensors, we thought about doing what you are talking about, but decided against it, didn't want to risk screwing something up or have people think we were trying to cheat.
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm
Just thinking how great it is not to have to deal with this stuff anymore on a Gen3! Just plug the thing in...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:04 pm
Trust me, I am looking forward to just wiring to the CAN wires.

For now, since this is stopgap, I might just leave the existing gauges in place, and use the tach signal only.

Thanks, Dave.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:29 pm
I replaced all the stock sensors with AIM-specific versions as the stock oil pressure sensor, for example, has a single terminal with the body of the sensor as a ground, while the AIM system uses its own voltage, so requires a pressure sensor with two terminals so it's insulated from the chassis ground. AIM has specific wiring for each of the sensor types so it's all pretty much plug-and-play. Other than the tach wire from the existing dash wiring, I did not reuse any of the existing harness wiring. Also had an Innovate AF with AIM wiring.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions