body fitting

Technical and Repair Discussions

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm
In the process of buying a Sports Renault for vintage racing. I've been working with the seller, who has been running two other cars for several years. He's pretty familiar with them. We're having a lot of difficulty getting a good body fit. We're using a spare body he had, not the one the car originally came with. It appears there has been some repair work through the years, and several areas are pretty heavily built up. I spent a lot of time grinding down the rear section near the roll bar before we could get it to fit even 80%. There is still a big gap between the right side center section & rear section.

The front section looks like it was leaning on one side for a while, just won't lie evenly on the pins and in the rub rails.

Any thoughts besides simply buy a new body? $$$!

Thank you, I look forward to running this car with VARA. I also have a Triumph GT6 DP car & my wife races Formula V.

Ed

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 pm
A good body fit should be attainable even with your old parts. A great body fit is almost impossible even with new parts. There are 2 or 3 generations of molds that have some conflict with each other, the biggest problem is around the roll bar and the fit between the center and tail near the side intake scoops. One side is close but the other is always a problem.

My suggestion for the nose that has warped from sitting on its side is to attach it to the car and force it into position with weights or temporary screws and let it sit in bright sunshine every day for a month. It will probably take a new set.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:19 pm
Get the tail to fit as good as you can and then work the center body with wooden shims under the back mounting points. This way the center body will come up to meet the tail and, hopefully, minimize the gaps.

As for the nose, I had one like yours (due to a significant prior repair) and eventually gave in to a new nose. One side was up high catching air, while the other side was low and would rub the tire in certain turns. Just felt like it was a real performance liability.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions