Cracked weld in my coolant tank. JB Weld OK for a bit?

Technical and Repair Discussions
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am
That's exactly why large pressure tanks are rounded.

I had the same crack in my tank. I took it to a local welder who does a lot of aluminum work. He said the biggest problem is cleaning the surface of the antifreeze contamination. So far his work is holding after two years.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:55 pm
IMHO, it's a "quality control" issue. I had one tank re-welded and the resulting bead was significantly thicker than the original bead. Mine tanks were not the original tanks in the car, but a completely new tank.

Bob D.; I got my some of the original wet application epoxy from Bob Hall so I don't recall the brand, off-hand. I believe what I have now is actually a J-B Weld product called "WetWeld". Sets very fast so I was able to use it between track sessions when I had a crack the size of the one seen in a prior post on this thread. Mine happened on the opposite side of the tank at the "L" portion of the tank.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:04 pm
Timely article: http://www.wired.com/2016/08/whats-inside-industrial-epoxy-bpa-somethin-garlicky/
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:34 pm
It came in a tube and was JB Weld. You kneed it to a consistent color and apply. I don't know how long I have had the tube, but it has been awhile.
Bob H.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:12 pm
Just to be clear, my tank crack was not a quality control issue. I got airborne enough that when the car came down, the rear body section slapped down on the tank. Even the bracket was bent down. A good friend welded it up like new for a six pack of beer. All's good.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:25 am
I just found JB Wet Weld at my local tractor supply.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions