Muffler repack 3@%&*!!

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:53 pm
I don't see how we can spec an unpacked muffler. Guys will buy a brand new muffler just before a big race and have the extra horsepower until the packing blows out. We need to spec a material that doesn't get blown out.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
562-1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:53 pm
RStephens wrote:I don't see how we can spec an unpacked muffler. Guys will buy a brand new muffler just before a big race and have the extra horsepower until the packing blows out. We need to come with a material that doesn't get blown out.

Most of the motorcycle mufflers I have looked at that are re-packable, have a "CORE" that is a wire mesh rather than 1/4" holes. The muffler packing method that we found dramatically reduces the blown out fiber and increase the longevity.

In my research:
1) Most of the mufflers, the core is removable to allow you to wrap the packing around it and insert it into the muffler body.
2) Most mufflers have a core has a much finer perforation than our mufflers 1/4" holes.
3) I haven't yet found any straight through mufflers, that use permanent dampening rather than re-packable fibers.
4) I cant find any research about the health risks for steel wool, or the fiber muffler packing materials.

Cliff

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:08 am
Check out Mooseracing.com. Motorcycle/ATV stuff. Lots of muffler re packing options. I'm intrigued by cartridge solution. Simple, cheap, and lasts 5-10 times longer than loose type packing material. Also, interestingly, for whatever it may be worth, they have several solutions that closely resemble What Cliff used in the runoffs.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:06 pm
Not to difficult to spec the unpacked muffler. Either SCCA has them built without packing, CSR's remove packing or it's left to the crew/driver to unpack before use.

Inspection hole to verify.

Can't believe how hard everyone is pushing so they can work this one grey area. If it means that much buy an IT car.
Last edited by trakmnky on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm
I personally would like to see the current muffler with no packing allowed, assuming we could still pass the db test. It seems that many of us have been running with next to no packing in the muffler and have yet to be cited for being over the limit. Or are we over the limit and nothing has been said :?:
Last edited by Bill Parenteau on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:11 pm
Absent totally replacing the muffler with a SuperTrapp disc unit, which I still support, let's at least spec a muffler with no packing, except in the case of a full-on "Laguna" piece.

Can we PLEASE make things simpler for once?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 am
Appropriate " breathing hazard" decal applied to rear of car and MSDS data sheets placed in folder in trailer.

Or

We all just do as Bruce suggests
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions