Is a collapsible steering column allowed?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:18 pm
In other forms of racing a collapsible steering column, like the one pictured below, are available. Production cars come from the factory with collapsible columns. Are they legal in SRF? The cost is about $165.
Attachments
Steering Column.jpg
Steering Column.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:09 am
Check the GCR for the full list of allowed medications. The last I checked the steering column was a spec part. You can change the steering wheel but not the column.
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:53 am
That's what I thought from reading it. A collapsible steering column has been standard since 1968. Ones like the picture above have been common in oval track cars since the early 2000s.

Given the driver injuries in Sebring, isn't something that should be allowed?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 pm
DavidNJ wrote:That's what I thought from reading it. A collapsible steering column has been standard since 1968. Ones like the picture above have been common in oval track cars since the early 2000s.

Given the driver injuries in Sebring, isn't something that should be allowed?

Totally agree! This needs to be addressed now, especially in light of the higher speeds (and exponentially higher potential impact g's) we now have with SRF3.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:46 pm
There's an interesting article in R&T this month about the Max Papis steering wheel, which appears to be designed with some flex in the event of a crash. If what we're trying to protect is wrist (rather than chests), this may be of interest.
Attachments
Wheel of Fortune copy.jpg
Wheel of Fortune copy.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 15110 times

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:36 pm
Isn't that already allowed? Papis has a variety of wheels, apparently widely used in NASCAR.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm
Just curious - I can't find that steering column at the price point you've suggested. Do you have a "super-secret source" you'd be willing to share? PM is fine - it is for another ongoing project. Speedway is near $200, and PitStopUSA is "out of stock." TIA

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:36 pm
Looks like a very good idea to me.

Had a friend who designs dirt and circle track cars look at my SRF a couple of years ago and said there were several things that wouldn't pass safety/tech and really needed to be addressed. The non-collapsible steering column was one. If I remember the fact that there was minimal crush in front of the rack was another. Both of which together make for a potentially deadly combo.

The SRF has a solid history of safety but you are right. With the higher speeds maybe a few of these areas or issues should be looked at a little closer.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 pm
trakmnky wrote:Looks like a very good idea to me.

Had a friend who designs dirt and circle track cars look at my SRF a couple of years ago and said there were several things that wouldn't pass safety/tech and really needed to be addressed. The non-collapsible steering column was one. If I remember the fact that there was minimal crush in front of the rack was another. Both of which together make for a potentially deadly combo.

The SRF has a solid history of safety but you are right. With the higher speeds maybe a few of these areas or issues should be looked at a little closer.

I tend to think if I get to the steering wheel I am probably in trouble. The steering wheel is about 15" from me. If I get to the wheel my belts probably disconnected. Still if it does not represent a performance advantage, optional safety improvements are good.

I do think the crush zone in front of the rack seems a little week. Between the radiator baffles and supports I think there could be decent crush zone if tied together correctly. I do not know what correctly is. Too stiff is bad for smaller hits. Too soft is bad for bigger hits.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:51 am
The price was from Lefthander Chassis.

Seat belts stretch. I had a wreck in 2001 where I bent the steering wheel inside out and my pre-HANS helmet hit the front roll cage hoop. Wrapped the radiator around the engine. Cracked a brake rotor.

I don't think the SRF chassis meets current SCCA GCR standards...but that is about to be another post.
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions