Gen 2 alternator test/replacement

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm
Hi there, I'm trying to figure out if I need a new alternator and if so, where to get one.

My car is a gen 2 so I would rather go with an older alternator since the new ones are over $600 (or so I've been told). So first question: how can I test the alternator to see if it's working properly? I used a multimeter on the battery terminals (initially read about 12.2 volts) then revved the engine up around 5,000rpm to see what would happen. Voltage actually dropped to 12.16 volts. Not sure if that test can accurately predict condition of the alternator.

So 2nd question: if my alternator is bad, where to get a new one? What am I looking for? Some old Ford alternator? Also, does anyone have replacement instructions by chance? I guess it should be fairly simple and straight forward but I've never replaced an alternator so some help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 pm
Voltage should increase immediately to at least 13.5v (likely more if battery is low.) I assume you are still using the old alternator? The old style alternator is from a mid-80's Renault Alliance. Pretty much any auto parts store can find you a suitable replacement. Bring your old one in to have them check it; sometimes you can get away with just replacing the regulator (the part where the wires plug into, which is a simple replacement. I'd also check with any Gen3 drivers who upgraded from a Gen2; they're likely to have a working alternator available at a reasonable price.

See for more info: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1996&p=13482&hilit=alternator+replacement#p13482
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:32 pm
breton wrote:Voltage should increase immediately to at least 13.5v (likely more if battery is low.) I assume you are still using the old alternator? The old style alternator is from a mid-80's Renault Alliance. Pretty much any auto parts store can find you a suitable replacement. Bring your old one in to have them check it; sometimes you can get away with just replacing the regulator (the part where the wires plug into, which is a simple replacement. I'd also check with any Gen3 drivers who upgraded from a Gen2; they're likely to have a working alternator available at a reasonable price.

See for more info: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1996&p=13482&hilit=alternator+replacement#p13482

If you can locate a rebuilt original alternator from the Sports Renault engine (it's a Paris-Rhone from the Renault Alliance) that would be ideal. Those suckers are plenty stout. The quality on the Bosch replacements is dicey. Maybe there's a CSR with one of those Paris-Rhone units still in their shop who would be willing to sell it you and you can then get it rebuilt.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:33 pm
Found mine on eBay - not a terrible price as I recall. Using the Paris-Rhone - Alliance search might be useful there. Rock Auto has been a bit lean on Renault bits I can attest. More luck with UK eBay. OOPS let out my secrets..."Alliance" won't help much overseas - F3N/F3R and pre-87.

Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions