Tire Bead Leaking on Rim

Technical and Repair Discussions
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:31 am
Hi, after noting Denny's and others comments,, ".. ask the Forum and save time .."! I have a tire on a Weld and it won't seal on the rim, slow leak. Took it to a tire shop who checked the rim and tire for leaks, found the bead leaking, broke it down, clean the bead, etc., still leaking. Is this safe to use say on a test day? anyone have this problem and solve it? Scrap the tire? Is this a Weld rim issue? Thanks Joel
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm
Joel,
The original iteration of these tires all did that (slow leak at the bead). If the tire doesn't leak enough to change pressures in the length of a session, run it. That means test session, race, or otherwise. Just forget that it leaks, with the exception of verifying pressure before you go out.
I'm open to dissenting opinions :) but I would say essentially "ignore it".
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm
Thanks... :P
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm
GSR00 wrote:Hi, after noting Denny's and others comments,, ".. ask the Forum and save time .."! I have a tire on a Weld and it won't seal on the rim, slow leak. Took it to a tire shop who checked the rim and tire for leaks, found the bead leaking, broke it down, clean the bead, etc., still leaking. Is this safe to use say on a test day? anyone have this problem and solve it? Scrap the tire? Is this a Weld rim issue? Thanks Joel

As noted, if it'll hold pressure for the session, it should be fine. I have two tires with that issue (one on a Shelby one on a Weld, so it's not the wheels). They'll lose 5+ lbs sitting overnight, but that's not a big issue. I keep the car on a lift and I have learned to check tires before dropping it.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm
Is it leaking at the bead or through the sidewall? If it's on the sidewall, have them wipe dish soap on the inside (seriously) - Or you can listen to RacerX (who just got ANOTHER picture in SportsCar!)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm
I have had tires that are brand new and have not been heat cycled sometimes leak at the bead on Weld wheels. But after a session on track the leaks have stopped. Like Denny said if it isn't leaking too bad run it.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions