Can't shift into 2nd/4th/rev

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:41 am
Hi folks. I was tracking my Gen2 yesterday and partway through the the third session, I realized I could no longer shift into 2nd or 4th. Pitted and then realized I couldn't engage reverse either.

No issues prior to this and no off-tracks, etc. throughout the day.

My guess is that some part of the linkage disconnected to needs to be checked. During my quick look/see (it was 95 degrees, so it was a real quick look/see) I did not see anything obvious.

Any pointers as to where I should look?

Thanks!

John
SRF #852 Gen2 (current) - purchased 3/18

SRF #835 Gen2 (previous) - owned 2000 - 2003

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:06 pm
Look for

cracked shift post
lost pin from the links front or rear, or badly worn link - that should not be a sudden change however
cracked or loose motor mounts, anything that can change the position of the engine will effect shifting

those are external problems - internal issue if all those are normal.

good luck

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
11&245
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 pm
Just saw this post and the problem may be that if you were running the speedometer driven gear (small one on the bottom of the fill plug) it may have come off the end of its mount and fallen down lower in the gear case. That blocks the internal shift mechanism from moving into any of the rearward (shifter)selected gears. If that happened, you should be able to drain the oil an spot it by looking into the fill port. A pair of magic fingers will usually retrieve it and you don't need it on the GEN II.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions