CDS interface with Gen3 issues

Technical and Repair Discussions

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 pm
It appears as CDS is gone. MD did a Gen 3 conversion for me and cannot get my CDS Copilot 2 to interface with the conversion. Shawn has tried everything and also Duane Neyer tried at Daytona last fall to get it to work, but to no avail. I see Gen 3 cars for sale out there with the system, so I assume they are working, so any input someone has would be appreciated. Trying not to spend all the money for an AIM dash at this point.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 am
How about the Aim Solo DL2? Much lower cost than an mxl or mxg and it will link to the ecu
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 pm
I'd also consider the new AIM MXm @ around $1,100 as a good starter system. It pretty much covers all the engine side data acqusition from the ECU, plus has programmable alarms, which I consider pretty critical in a Gen3 to deal with the inevitable lost water pump/alternator belt, as well as future expansion capabilities for other sensors.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm
After my Gen3 conversion in 2015, I had to send my SSI and CP2 back to CDS (the Mauney version of CDS) to get the units reprogrammed and re-cabled to receive the serial signal from the Performance Electronics PE3 CAN to serial module. It also required a new SEN-9G sensor cable. I'd be surprised if a CSR could do that for you. CDS charged me $500 for the work. Afterward, I also remember needing to talk to Mike Davies to get the PE ECU to output the correct signal to the CAN to serial module. (Something like that. I just remember not getting any data on the CP2 and that Mike was able to help me fix it over the phone.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:32 pm
Thanks for the replies and input. What you said Ed, makes sense as to why the CSR's couldn't get it to work and CDS is gone for all intents and purposes.
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am
I've got a CDS myself on G3. Given that it's not supported and aging, I figure this will need to get replaced anyways. I also worry about reliability at the track. Do folks recommend proactively replacing my CDS?

I'm looking into an AIM MXM to save some cash. Plus, I understand that downloading data via Wifi is easy, that and comparing my data do others. Is the AIM install and setup easy?

Thanks for any tips.
Andrew
roocox@gmail.com
Minneapolis, MN

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
880-2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:30 am
I am in the process of installing an MXM in mt Gen 2. Wiring in a Gen 3 should be a breeze. Pretty much just hook up power and the ECU and you're done. I know you said that you're looking at it to save cash but you will not be compromising anything. It's also the perfect size for the SRF dash.

Wifi download is easy once you figure out how it works.
I have no idols. I admire work, dedication, and competence - Senna
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 am
Thanks Noah for sharing that. I may stick with my dual GoPro camera setup, that is autotriggered by my race Chrono app for Android for track videos with overlay and light data. This is mostly for YouTube later. It works really well, just using the built-in sensors in the phone. But it's not at all the data acquisition that the AIM is. Saving some cash from buying smarty cams right away.
Andrew
roocox@gmail.com
Minneapolis, MN
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:53 pm
Found this about connecting Aim to G3. Looks like it couldn't be easier, except a brake sensor and steering angle?
https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ ... 01_eng.pdf
Andrew
roocox@gmail.com
Minneapolis, MN
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
Correct, if you want to log brake pressure and/or steering angle you need to purchase sensors.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions