Total votes : 9

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:27 pm
We have a frame going in for bead blasting, can't decide whether to go with paint or powder coating. I have cars with both, and see benefits and drawbacks with both. Curious what everybody else thinks?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 pm
Dave: in the old days metal finishing was liquid paint. PC is a far superior finish: no rust creep, the bond is better, the coating is generally a lot thicker, possibly more corrosion resistant if the right PC is used. Liquid paint has one advantage to me:easier touch up. But you'll touch up more since generally it is not as durable. And if you need the body of a car painted liquid is the choice. but not on a frame. YMMV

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:43 am
Power Coating is heavier than liquid paint.

We did both.
Currently the car is power coated. It is easier to clean when power coated.
I like a lighter color of frame color because of the ability to spot frame damage or frame cracks.

Merry Christmas everyone,
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Accelracetek-285423508982
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:01 am
Dave,
I would go with paint. Repairs on PC is a nightmare. It is almost impossible to grind off the PC before welding so it burns off and it can contaminate a weld. Also, after you do the welding, spray paint doesn't stick very well. If you ever have to paint the frame again, stripping the OC requires a very big oven to cook off the paint, you can't sandblast PC off. Also, I agree that it is harder to see frame cracks with the thick PC.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions