Car will no longer roll freely in neutral

Technical and Repair Discussions

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm
Hey all, new guy again.

I just received an SRF3 that I bought a couple of days ago. When it was unloaded from the transporter, the car would no longer roll freely in neutral (or any other gear). It also did not shift cleanly between gears anymore. The shifter needed to be adjusted by my mechanic and now cleanly shifts between all gears. However, the car still won't roll freely in neutral. It does roll fine with the clutch in.

What type of failure do you think this is? My mechanic and my best guess is that a shifter fork is bent in the tranny leaving it partially in gear at all times.

The car was originally loaded onto the transport by being driven on and was understood to be in complete running condition. Mid-travel it was unloaded and reloaded by the driver again by driving it. When it was delivered to the destination, the battery had been killed, I assume by leaving the master on too long with it not running. Hence it was rolled off the transporter, but seemed to have the drag of spinning the engine when in neutral. Could a shifter fork get bent by manhandling by the transporter? Otherwise, could transporting in gear have caused this type of issue?

Also, since a tranny rebuild is the most likely end result for me, do you have recommendations for best places that do these or have a tradeout available? Also, anything I should consider updating when having a tranny rebuilt?

I'm in UT, so I assume it will need to be shipped somewhere distant no matter what.

-Greg
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:35 am
The transmission might be just fine. It sounds to me like the clutch free play might need to be adjusted, because it is slightly engaged at all times. Read the clutch adjustment instructions carefully to see if that is the issue.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 pm
Thanks for the reply. After additional diagnosis on the lift, we found that the tranny is stuck in either 3rd or 4th all the time (when in neutral) given the speed of the wheel at idle. If you engage any gear and let the clutch out, the engine will stall as the tranny is in two gears at once. Going for a rebuild...

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:42 pm
I have complete unit ready to go in.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions