Car won't start - But relays are good

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:52 am
I tried starting my car, heard the fuel pump run for a few seconds, but the car would not turn over. After that, pushed the starter button and heard a relay click several times. I assumed I had a bad relay, but replaced both the main and fuel relay. The car still will not turn over. Any ideas?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:46 pm
I'm assuming you've checked the batter voltage and it's charged above 12.7. On the Gen3, I discovered a recurrent problem with the ground cable from the battery to the frame due to corrosion. I unscrewed the ground cable from the frame and wire-brushed both the frame and the cable. Re-attached and, voila, it started! I've since made it habit to also check the ground from the frame to the transmission, for the same reason. Wouldn't hurt to check the positive connection at the starter, as well. You may want to put a volt meter on the battery as well, to see if the voltage take a big drop (below 12.0) when you push the starter button. That could be indicative of a failing battery that has OK voltage, but insufficient amps to start the car.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 pm
I just took it off the trickle charger, but I'll check all the grounds. Thanks!
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:45 pm
Check or replace the Crank Sensor. If the sensor is bad, Nothing happens.. no start
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:07 pm
JBPDXOR wrote:Check or replace the Crank Sensor. If the sensor is bad, Nothing happens.. no start
How do I check the sensor? Do the relays do the clicking when the sensor is bad?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 pm
Sounds like the problem I had. It was the starter itself. First try putting the car in gear and rocking the car back and forth. Then try to start normally. If that doesn't work, try putting the car in 2nd gear, switch on, press and hold the starter and have someone rock the car forward. Be ready to depress the clutch as soon as the starter tries to engage if it does. I wouldn't hold the button very long trying this. This would sometimes work for us. The problem ended up being the starter itself. Call Kevin at Comprent - he is familiar with the problem.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm
turnnpoint wrote:Sounds like the problem I had. It was the starter itself. First try putting the car in gear and rocking the car back and forth. Then try to start normally. If that doesn't work, try putting the car in 2nd gear, switch on, press and hold the starter and have someone rock the car forward. Be ready to depress the clutch as soon as the starter tries to engage if it does. I wouldn't hold the button very long trying this. This would sometimes work for us. The problem ended up being the starter itself. Call Kevin at Comprent - he is familiar with the problem.

Thanks! I did suspect the starter at first, because last year it sometimes didn't "hit" on the first try, but did on the 2nd try.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 am
Or the "old school" hammer on the solenoid trick... ;-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:27 pm
breton wrote:Or the "old school" hammer on the solenoid trick... ;-)

Yep.I've already tried that trick, but it didn't work. Bummer
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:15 pm
Kurt,
You can buy a crankshaft sensor online for $9.00 up to $28. I would just shotgun and replace. Even if the problem is not solved you will have an important spare part.

Part # BE8Z-6C315-A
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions