Time to go racing (con't)

How To Get Started
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm
dave wrote:It is pretty easy to "adjust" the fiberglass seat, we have three versions for rental cars. We have drivers pushing 120 to NFL offensive linemen size to NBA height. :)

Most extreme is Anthony Tabacco and I sharing a car in an enduro.

Is there any (legal) way to lower the fiberglass seat? I carry my height (6'1") disproportionately in my upper body, and I seem to sit 1-2" higher than most people.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 am
Hi Scott,

Welcome. Another option to the scca scenario is to go to a scca accredited driving school and getting your license through them. That is what i did. I raced with Bertil Roos Racing School for many years and their five day school(can be broken up in a two and a three day experience or 5 days straight) can get you a license. In the mean time you get some really good instruction from a great group of guys.

I am not affiliated with their school in any other way than believing in their program, having spent a lot of time with them competing in their race series and have a lot of friends at the school.

Mark Vultaggio
Mark
Dinosaur Racing

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 am
Thanks, Mark. I think my best option for the license is going to be the class here in Texas since it eliminates travel time and expense. The CSR (Spec Racer Sports) here has a furnished apartment at the track that I can use during the class and it's a relatively short drive from my house. Now I just have to wait until they can get a quorum for the class...

mvultaggio wrote:Hi Scott,

Welcome. Another option to the scca scenario is to go to a scca accredited driving school and getting your license through them. That is what i did. I raced with Bertil Roos Racing School for many years and their five day school(can be broken up in a two and a three day experience or 5 days straight) can get you a license. In the mean time you get some really good instruction from a great group of guys.

I am not affiliated with their school in any other way than believing in their program, having spent a lot of time with them competing in their race series and have a lot of friends at the school.

Mark Vultaggio
-Scott
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm
Shine wrote: The CSR (Spec Racer Sports) here has a furnished apartment at the track that I can use during the class ...

That's pretty cool...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:46 pm
Dave's facility at MSR is really nice.
and I have found the cooking at that place to be great, too.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 pm
dave wrote:That's pretty cool...

Yes, it is very cool. Nothing like rolling out of bed, watching the sunrise over the track as you drink your coffee, pulling on your race suit and walking down the stairs to a car that has already been set up and warmed up for you. It's as close to being an F1 driver as I'll ever get!
-Scott
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 am
Yep, I give Dave a lot of cr@p (and he certainly dishes it right back at me), but that is a sweet setup he's got going on there.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 am
I'm finally licensed! Well, not technically, I still need to send in my medical for final approval, but I completed the license course last week. Now I'm focused on my first raced, which I hope will be at MSRH later this month. :shock:
-Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/ken.grammer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm
Congratulations!
Ken Grammer
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 am
Shine wrote:I'm finally licensed! Well, not technically, I still need to send in my medical for final approval, but I completed the license course last week. Now I'm focused on my first raced, which I hope will be at MSRH later this month. :shock:

Congrats. I'm just heading into my second season, and I prefer to think of it as my second rookie season. The 6 month layoff makes me worry about how much I may have retained. So, rookie-to-rookie, my suggestions for the first race(s):

1. Keep it clean and be conservative. The SRF community is tight and you want to earn your stripes by being someone people can trust and feel comfortable around. And who wants to show up at the Chief Steward's office as a rookie? Besides, it's bad form to win your first race. ;-)

2. It all starts with qualifying. If you don't get a good quali lap, the weekend starts out in a hole. Ask me how I know. Do not roll out for qualifying with brand new brake pads.

3. Close is safe. Going into a turn side-by-side, you'd rather be 6 inches apart than 6 feet apart. OK, maybe 12 inches. Point is, as a new racer (former HPDE-er), the tendency is to seek maximum space.
PreviousNext

Return to How To Get Started