Running Cost

How To Get Started

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:33 pm
I looking into starting to race SRF on a budget and I am wondering what kind of cost to expect running 4 to 5 weekends a year. I already looked up entry fees in the area that I will be racing in and I am more looking for maintenance costs.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:09 am
All depends on what you want to do and where you are located. This forum cover a lot of it
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=557&p=3960&hilit=costs+budget#p3960

I am in my first season and these are the costs to consider based on my recent experience:
Renting per race weekend: ~$2.5-$3.5k depending on location and number of days
Licence: ~$100
SCCA Membership: ~$90
Buying a car costs: ~$12k (needs work/updates) to $37k (brand new, data system, goodies)
Trailer and tow vehicle: ????
Suit/Helmet/Gloves/Hans/Arm restraints/Boots/Underwear etc: $1k-$4k

These cost all depend on the number of events you do a year
Tyres (+mounting/balancing): ~$900 a set generally you can get 8-10 heat cycles on the rears maybe 16 on fronts
Entry fees: Race days depends on the region and venue ~$400-$600
Test day entry fees: $400-$500 depends on the track
Hotels: Depends on you comfort level
Towing fuel
Damage/fixes
Brake pads/Oil/Plugs/Misc
Engine rebuilds

People that have been racing for awhile can probably give you a better idea of annual costs and it varies from the privateer to the custom shop arrive and drive.
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 am
James (Zealous) has it spec'ed out really well, except most new drivers (James included, I suspect) end up running more weekends than they say they will at the beginning of the season.

I suggest setting aside a pretty big amount ($5k?) for contingencies, so if something happens you don't have to start skipping events you had planned on racing. If you have a good year, you can add some events as the season goes on or carry the fund over to the next season. When I started, I had an emergency credit card I kept empty so I wouldn't have to sell stock or exercise options during the tech boom.

Once expense that has increased recently is brakes, with the new rotors. Probably about $150-200 / weekend on the average.

I think a new car (with Gen3) is probably more like $45k with assembly, etc.

The other thing to factor in is the cost / availabilty of your time. It's possible to race with restrictions on time or money, but not with both. :(

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:08 pm
I'm a corner worker so I know the basics of racing, but don't have any friends that drive SRF. I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, but I'm on the fence between doing arrive and drive rentals and buying my own car. I am trying to do this on about a 10k a year budget after initial purchases. Will this be possible baring extreme crash damage?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:12 pm
It will be less expensive to buy a car than to rent one every time you want to race. You can still do arrive and drive with your own car.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 pm
crumbles86 wrote:I'm a corner worker so I know the basics of racing, but don't have any friends that drive SRF. I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, but I'm on the fence between doing arrive and drive rentals and buying my own car. I am trying to do this on about a 10k a year budget after initial purchases. Will this be possible baring extreme crash damage?

I think you can. I am on my 5th weekend this year. I have spent $9550 (I hate adding that up) this year plus hotel and tow vehicle gas money. That includes several expenses that did not have to happen. This year I added the following

Penske shocks $2k
Butler Seat $1.1k
Solo Timer $400

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 am
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will be able to pull it off.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:45 pm
With the Gen 3 on board there may be some good deals on Gen 2's in the coming year. You can run the G2 for the next 3 years as a stand alone class and after that as a combined class in 2018. At that time you can chose to upgrade or to stay with a G2. A G3 engine will cost somewhere north of $11000 when they become available. A converted racer will run between $25000 and $30000.
Just some thoughts to consider for your future planning.
Bob
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:21 am
These costs seem to be pretty much in the ballpark. Running a GEN2 to get your feet wet might also be a good idea. I recommend introducing yourself to some of the Spec Racer drivers in your area and asking lots of questions. That's what I did when I first looked into switching over from FF to Spec Racer almost 20 years ago.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:17 am
crumbles86 wrote:I looking into starting to race SRF on a budget and I am wondering what kind of cost to expect running 4 to 5 weekends a year. I already looked up entry fees in the area that I will be racing in and I am more looking for maintenance costs.

SRF is great! Fantastic racing in a car that looks like a real-race-car and I've always found a few people to race with... even being in the middle to back of the field. I've been running it for 2 years. I would follow the suggestion with staying with G2. I am sticking with G2 until the G3 and G2 merge together. I need another 2-3 seconds off my lap times before G3 would make competitive sense for me. And all the "fast" guys are going to G3 now! So by sticking with G2...you can start winning by attrition - or that's my plan anyway - ha ha.

FYI: two things I never add up. How much it costs for both of my kids to ride horses and how much it costs for race cars :shock:

Return to How To Get Started