Central Texas transplant trying to get into SRF

How To Get Started
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:51 am
One end of the arm restraint attaches to the lap belts and the other typically goes over your forearm. The challenge with the forearm is there a tendency to slip off (lost a race once when it slide off my arm and over the shifter and had to finish the race one-handed). The use of the d-ring on the elbow of the suit eliminates that problem.

You want enough slack to signal, but not so much that your elbow goes past the side of the roll-bars braces. Most racers keep too much slack (if you can put your arm straight up it's too loose) by putting it on the upper arm rather than the forearm, which defeats the purpose.

I found another solution which I've used for a number of years. I bought a set of gloves with a d-ring sewn into the cuff. I have both restraint straps wrapped in a d-ring together and the strap goes behind the crotch belt. That allows some slack if needed left-to-right (e.g. to reach the master switch), but it also keeps the arms tighter inside the cockpit. Since they're permanently attached to the gloves I avoid the 'crap, I forgot my arm restraints' problem on pre-grid! The only issue I'm finding is that it's rare to find these gloves anymore so next pair may require me to add the d-ring to the cuff myself.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 pm
I've run with "slip-on" Simpson restraints on my forearms for years. I put them on, then snug them up. Yes in my videos you will sometimes see me reach over and slide it back up off of my wrist as they have a tendency to slide down sometimes, but all in all it's never been a bother.
The sewn in rings seem like a decent alternative, I just never wanted to modify my suit.

IMO the number 1 rule is this: wear them on your forearms, not your around your biceps. Wearing them up high all but eliminates the safety factor and while you are wearing them to comply with the rules, you are primarily wearing them to do their job in the exceedingly rare case of a rollover. Safety is paramount.
Just my .02.
I have a spare set of slip-ons (they have a d ring so could actually be sewn into your suit if you wanted and then clipped in to) if you see me again before May.
Have fun!
Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm
I started with wearing them on my forearm. Now wear them on my wrist. It allows we to wear them loose since the will not slide up or down from the wrist. It is also easy that way to find a length that gives max movement but keeps arm in the car
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:42 pm
How about a video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBwy3Wh7Bo&html5=1
I bet the Great Hippie Shirt is "optional". :lol:
Cheers - Jim
When I used to fly, I was called an AVIATOR.
Now, I race cars. So, am I called a PAVIATOR?

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:25 pm
phantomjock wrote:How about a video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBwy3Wh7Bo&html5=1
I bet the Great Hippie Shirt is "optional". :lol:
Cheers - Jim

I actually ended up getting them sewn into my driving suit. Having done it the way I did, I'd do it a little differently next time, but I can live with it the way it is.

Jim - I make some bad videos for U2B, but that one is really bad. Thanks for making me feel better. :D
Previous

Return to How To Get Started